I tried Slydog's method of tiling, which was a lot more efficient than my attempt before of creating 16384 identical objects and copying from a separate texture atlas each tile! Or creating whole new 1024x1024 textures each frame! Unfortunately even the improvement with Slydog's method was resulting in low FPS; on my faster system too. The amount of map that is shown at any one time in a SMK battle map is so troublesome. I tried restricting the number of tiles loosely based on player view but even in better than average circumstances the FPS was too low.
If I really want to keep animation and super-fast FPS I could just bust the texture resolution down to the original SNES game, for that truly nostalgic old school look.
BUT! For now, until I'm a little better acquainted with the X_ functions, I'm going to try to complete a simple 3D horror game instead - something that would better suit what I can do. Officially I'm meant to be sick atm but not so bad that I can't code. I reckon I can justify another day just coding for fun.