Any known issues running current glbasic apps on ipad 3?

Previous topic - Next topic

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-17So in essence that is actually one step MORE than using GLB to compile an iOS app in the first place  :S

I think I'll stick with GLB  :D
No, in essence it's the same; and also different.

From what I understand, GLBasic compiles the BASIC code to some sort of C format (unusable at this point), which is then compiled by XCode, with a valid developer license. That's two steps to get to a functioning app.

The AppStudio compiles the BASIC code to some sort of JavaScript, which is a fully functioning, standalone WebApp, which can be sold without any developer license, independent of the AppStore. That's only one step.

If, for any reason, there is a need to sell these apps through Apple's AppStore, PhoneGap (using XCode) will re-compile it into a native-app format, with a valid developer license. That's the second step, for a second format.

But we're still only talking on the basis of app generation, and not the quality of the apps themselves. GLBasic is clearly a bonafide powerhouse, that can run circles around the likes of AppStudio, which is only a RAD tool. No contest!

That's why I'm sticking with GLBasic as well.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

ampos

How the hell are we supposed to run/test iPad 3 resolution games?

Should we buy a 60 inches computer screen for this? :D Even a fullHD tvset has lower resolution than this...  :S :'(
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Ian Price

QuoteNo, in essence it's the same; and also different.
Nope - if we are comparing like for like = iOS app on AppStore, which is what GLB does. With your method you create an app in something to create a WebApp. Then you use another piece of software to compile/convert it into a proper app. Then Use XCode etc to send to AppStore.

GLB. Compile iOS app. Then Use XCode etc to send to AppStore. = ONE LESS STEP.

@ampos. LOL. Indeed!
I came. I saw. I played.

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-17
Then you use another piece of software to compile/convert it into a proper app. Then Use XCode etc to send to AppStore.
The XCode step is not required, as PhoneGap makes use of XCode to compile it to a native app. So, its AppStudio generating a WebApp, and PhoneGap generating the native app; just two steps.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

fuzzy70

Interestingly even Apples top end 27" monitor http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC007B/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ @£900 cannot natively show the ipad 3 full display as it only supports 2560-by-1440  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

spacefractal

Hey its doent make sence: Xcode not required, but phonegab require it to compile...

And yep I have not seen a monitor using iPad 3 resoulution, so all tests must been done on regular device anyway... iOS is not so easy to start to dev due all those Apple setup. But when it work, then it's really nice. TO easy to I dont need to copy the project to Xcode, I have shared the folder. Howover its might not work with final build, but you dont do that often anyway.

Better would if the current Windows IDE could port to Mac, then its would been easier and faster (For ME MacOS build compile faster than Windows with a wordcount of 9232 commands).

Ps. Take care not doing off type since the oringinal just asked current glbasic works on ipad3, with or without retina support.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

TI-994A

Quote from: spacefractal on 2012-Mar-17
Hey its doent make sence: Xcode not required, but phonegab require it to compile...

The post was in response to Ian's two-step statement:

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-17
Then you use another piece of software to compile/convert it into a proper app. Then Use XCode etc to send to AppStore.

And it actually read "the XCode step is not required", because XCode is already integrated in the PhoneGap step.

Hope that clears it up for you.

BdR

Quote from: ampos on 2012-Mar-17
How the hell are we supposed to run/test iPad 3 resolution games?

Should we buy a 60 inches computer screen for this? :D Even a fullHD tvset has lower resolution than this...  :S :'(
Yeah, it's insane. :blink: I was sceptical about this high resolution and I doubted that it would even be noticable. But I must say it is in fact noticable when reading fine print, like a news website or something like that all zoomed out.

I went to a macstore today and the staff was nice enough to let me install my GLB app from the appstore onto an iPad3 to test it. I had set the GLBasic project to 768x1024 so it uses the original iPad resolution and works just fine as I suspected. So I don't know if GLBasic can use the 1536x2048 resolution, but then again why wouldn't it.

//offtopic: the guy at the store also showed me that if you do a double tap with 3 fingers (or more?) in my game it zooms in. I guess this is default iOS functionality, does this also work on the original iPad? What's the use of it anyway? :D

fuzzy70

I have found a monitor online that can handle the iPad3 resolution with some pixels to spare  :D

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/monitors/30inchmonitors/u3011.html

So if you have a spare £1k available & are desperate it will help.

Screen size   30" Wide
Aspect Ratio   16:10
Resolution   2560 x 1600
Brightness(Typical)   370 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio   100'000:1
Response Time   7ms
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical)   178°/178° (CR>10)
Color Supported   1.07 Billion

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Slydog

Ha, coincidence - I just ordered that exact monitor! (Still 1 to 2 weeks waiting time  :'()
It went on for $1000 CAD (usually $1400 CAD), but I went on their monthly payment option.  :whip:

I have the 24" UltraSharp, and it is awesome, so when the 30" went on sale (in Canada) I jumped on it.
It has a 2560 x 1600 resolution, I can't wait to see how that looks. :happy:
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

fuzzy70

Quote from: Slydog on 2012-Apr-03
I have the 24" UltraSharp

Swap you for my tatty worn out 1280x1024 15" Samsung  :D

Lee
- "These go to eleven."