Crash test

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Hil,

Can anyone download this simple demo and let it run on your PC, it crashes after about 7 minutes on my system.

Please report back, with Windows version please and error details.

On my PC it takes 7 mins to crash. Win 7 64bit

2,4,8,6 on the keypad, controls the bird, 'W' for wireframe mode.

Thanks all.

P.S. It needs to be kept on top and hold focus.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Gary

win xp, about 5 minutes in, no error message.

Dont know if it helps but at the time the bird was flying into a mountain and it was struggling to find a path or angle round it

bigsofty

That's normal its only doing simple sliding collision.

Can you leave it running a longer please? 11 mins was the max I managed till it crashed, 7 mins usually though.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Minion

Crashed in under a minute for me.

Win 7 (32 bit)

bigsofty

Error message?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Gary

what I meant was mine crashed at 5 mins in, window closed, no error message

bigsofty

Ah I see, thank you, this error is proving to be a real pain to find.  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Minion

Same here, no message just air.exe has stopped working. The budgie was under water at this point.

bigsofty

Weird, thanks for the test though.  :)
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

Yes, crash after 5 minutes too - Windows 7 x64

as is usual, ntdll.dll is the faulting module.

bigsofty

Oops, too quick there. That's may'be invalid pointer, I think.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

couple of seconds. STACK OVERFLOW. Are you recursively calling a function?

bigsofty

Yes, the entity system and the quaternion/matrix functions are all recursive. Strange thing though, if I do the same code, via FreeBasic there is no crash. Very strange indeed.

BTW: The bird is controlled by the keypad Ocean, still 10secs is pretty bad.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Moru

Deep recursive is not good in GLBasic sadly. I had some recursive code that kept crashing on different places on different computers. Rewrote without recursion and it works fine ever since.

MrTAToad

Sounds like a small stack area... :)

Recursion does work okay - just need to make sure that it doesn't go too far...