Vulkan?

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyB

Hi! Cool tool you got there. I like the syntax more than AGK.

Is there any ambition to turn GLBasic into some sort of V(ulkan)Basic in the near future or are such large changes out of the question?

Greetings,
Johnny

SnooPI

Hi JohnnyB ! (a bit late)

For some time, there has been a lot of discussion on this and more generally on the future of GLB (especially since it moved to Steam).
Every idea is welcome  ;)

dreamerman

In near future I really doubt it, as this would require to rewrite whole graphic part of engine for new API. Beside supporting newer iOS there isn't really to much sense in this, as true performance gain You get in multitasking app with plenty of rendering, not small games that probably You will make here. One of strength (in some cases weakness) of GLBasic is that it's using older OpenGL thats why project made with it can run on older hardware or some low powered devices with nice speed, for example Vulkan isn't supported on earlier generations than Intel Skylake, and there is so many laptop users with older gpu like HD 4000.
On other hand as second render / compile target along with OpenGL it could be interesting, and would allow to future-proof working on iOS and so on...
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

spacefractal

its been forced sooner and later as least Apple does no longer support OpenGL. But im do hope we a least get a good HTML5/JavaScript port throught. That platform has a nice base to port to various today platforms.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/