Any xbox insider members on here?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Dont suppose there is anyone on here who is part of the xbox preview program is there? Would love to try out the backwards compatibility stuff but it seems to become a member you have to be invited by someone who is on the program. So just thought I would ask if there was anyone on here who is.

Cheers
Gary

Ian Price

Actual meaning - you want to get Windows 10 for free for any OS ;) :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Gary

Actually no, I have a biz spark membership so I have windows keys a plenty from XP to 10. Also why would xbox preview membership give me windows 10? Windows insider which anyone can sign up for will give you win 10

spacefractal

There have been confuction about this part. Thee Free retail release from Windows 10 is only possible if you signed the membership and upgraded it from Window 7/8 on that machine.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

I didn't follow the ins and outs and what's what (or check, as I don't care that much) - I just mentioned what I had read on the Blitz forum - http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=104699
I came. I saw. I played.

Gary

What I heard (and it was a couple of months ago but not heard anything to change it) was no matter what the source of your windows 7/8/8.1 install was, you would get the upgrade offer to windows 10. This includes versions that may or may not have been activated properly.

Personally after using windows 10 at a gamejam I am totally on the fence regarding the improved start menu. Yes you have the old style Start back but you also have tacked onto the side of it a bloody metro style menu. Thankfully the company behind start8 (the best piece of windows 8 software I have ever used) have produced a start10 which gives the true windows 7 start button back in 10.

I cant work out where this sits in the skip one release cycle of windows, if 95 was a miss, 98 install, ME miss, XP install, vista miss, 7 install, 8 miss, was 8.1 a release in its own right (and the current OS I'm using) making it install and 10 then becomes a miss, or was 8.1 nothing more than a huge service pack and 10 is the polished version  :puke:

Ian Price

Time will tell whether W10 fit into the hit/miss cycle.

I'm waiting before I click that upgrade icon in my taskbar. I don't want to be lumbered with another Vista style OS!

TBF I do like 8.1 - I just avoid the whole Metro side of it where possible.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Who doesn't :)

It's okay - when it works.  I just find that Metro sometimes works fully and sometimes not - searching, for example should always show up the icon for item(s) being found, but sometimes I just get solid blocks of colour... :blink:

Apps seem to be very easy to corrupt (or perhaps are badly written) - trying to sort out Mail can be very annoying.

Most apps don't seem to be updated either...