[solved] Palm Pixi game not showing sprites

Previous topic - Next topic

bjimenez

Hi,

I'm new here, I'm developing my first game for the Palm Pixi Plus. I have used png images. I can compile my game and get it onto the pixi, but none of the images show up when I play it. I have a background, and two sprites in png format that should show up, but don't. I tested that my program is actually running by using a DRAWRECT command. The rect showed up so i know at least the program is running. I've tried putting my graphics in the media folder in my game project , but still no luck. Any help would be great.

spacefractal

if its works on Windws, there might been a case letter issue which is typical error when dev on other devices than Windows. Big and small letters is not the same unlike Windows..... (etc Sprite.png and sprite.png is not the same file)

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bjimenez

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but should I be placing my game graphics into the media folder? it seems that only the graphics in the media folder get transferred to the media folder for the pixi format, not any graphics that are just in the .app folder. I'm using simple names for my graphics, just a letter and number like so j1.png . The game does run on my windows machine, but only if I put the graphics into the .app folder. If I put them into the media folder and try to use "\media\j1.png" to load them I get a file not found error.

bjimenez

Hi,

I got the images to show on my windows machine from the media folder by using ./media/j1.png. But after compiling for my pixi and running it,still no sprites or the background showed up.  :( Hoping I can figure this out soon.

spacefractal

did you add SETCURRENTDIR("Media") before reading media files? Media files is best to been played on media folder, those would been automatic to been copied to distro's media folder, if not exists. Also folder is called Media, not media and hence its might not read on Pixi.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bjimenez

Quote from: spacefractal on 2011-Dec-30
did you add SETCURRENTDIR("Media") before reading media files? Media files is best to been played on media folder, those would been automatic to been copied to distro's media folder, if not exists. Also folder is called Media, not media and hence its might not read on Pixi.

No did not setcurrentdir. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

bjimenez

@spacefractal

That was the fix! thanks. Sprites now load and so does my background. Just a noob error i guess. Thanks again.