GLBasic and MacOS..?

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

I'm new to GLBasic and just started to check it out, but I'm very impressed. Easy coding with awesome game results. :) I tried the Quantum game and looked at the code, and it runs great. I especially like the built in net-support for online highscore tables, and with only a few lines of code.

My question, will GLBasic have MacOS support at some point? Or is this not planned? I currently program in BlitzMax (newest BlitzBasic IDE) which has MacOS support. No MacOS support is for me the main reason not to use GLBasic. :|

Don't get me wrong, I know this is not a small thing to do, adding a completely new architecture/OS support to a compiler. But MacOS has a large userbase, most people play games on their mac. And Linux and GP2X seem, at least to me, relatively obscure platforms.

Schranz0r

Gernot will do that, but dont own a MAC...
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

Right. That's my main problem at the moment. I'm trying to get some OSX running on vmware, which is supposed to work, but I'm not quite far, yet.
The main problem is: If I buy an OSX and it does not work, I'd be pretty bugged with that. And getting a MAC is not really an option, since I have about 3x the ammount of computers that I need, so my wife would complain a bit (and she's right propably).
Fact is: I'm really planning OSX support and it should not be too much of a trouble either. However, I've get a bad starting point here.

Brice Manuel

Gernot, in some ways I have kicked myself for not buying a shiny new Mac even though I have six PCs and a couple of older non-PC computer systems.  But I did buy OSX from Amazon so I would have a legit copy, then I downloaded that "version" of OSX floating around that was "modified" to run on regular PC hardware and have managed install it on a couple of my systems and it runs with no problems, even on a somewhat older one.

Kitty Hello

Thanks for the info. I've also been googling a bit about the compiler, and MAC is a bit of a problem to generate a toolchain for. The main problem is, that GCC does not support the "MACH-O" format natively, so you need some quirks from Apple and so on...
Blitz went the easy way and told you to walk over to the mac for compiling, but that's no option for GLBasic. That's a pure PITA.