Message to Kitty

Previous topic - Next topic

SnooPI

Just a question, do you have problems with this language so that it stays cross-platform?
I don't think it's good to keep this problem internally.
There are competent people on this site to help you  ;)

-EDIT-
Hmmm :| I should have sent this message privately. It was so that everyone could participate, but in fact, I'm not sure it's a good idea, at least not for the moment.
A moderator can remove it if he wishes, I would see no problem.

spacefractal

the main issue is..... Apple dropped OpenGL support and iOS and Android has changed terms and require Android Studio for countinue. Howover im do thinks we do pretty close to get it running on Android Studio, im do havent used glbasic in quite a while, due Spectrum Next projects (audio side).

But yes a least would been cool to test it on Linux as well. But MacOS is clearly out. Sorry. iOS is proprety out too from iOS13, where OpenGl is property removed.

Those above is the reason im could not take anymore to the mobile section at all, due both Google and Apple change terms and require months and months to get it running again.

The source code is pretty much open now, so you can try to port it to different platform or do a vulcan/metal version of it.

PS. Gernot have send me a version of Android im should look on, but just dident have time yet. Im do still bet the best platforms would have been Windows and HTML5. If we can get a great HTML5/Java port, then the later one could have been used for various ports really. This because HTML5/Java has been pretty much a standard today and can run on pretty much anything todays devices today. Some features might been removed, but.... better than nothing.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

I'm working to get Android up-to-date. It's the most important platform IMO.
Apple is no longer supported. You have the source - try it yourself. I'm done with Apple.
HTML5 is a very promising platform. It offers almost all we need for true cross platformability.

spacefractal

im havent yet to checking it, but im do should do it sson.

Yes with HTML5, we can support Apple and other platforms back again. But as native support, we cant no longer support Apple at all! This will newer been happens, when they have removed OpenGl support. Many games will suffer for that!

But, yes, HTML5 is very promising and hope we can get that one to working. Then we would have a true cross platform again.

So yes, Windows, Android and HTML5 is property the 3 most important platforms, Apple is not of them (except with a good HTML5 support, then we can bring it back again with this version).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

SnooPI

I admit that I too have abandoned Apple (their machines become quickly obsolete for a developer).
At first, I thought that using the same system as AGK (an interpreter) would be a good idea (by the way, the Studio version of their kit looks very promising, with the use of vulkan), but this is apparently not your choice.
For my part I can not work full time on a multiplatform version (which requires a lot of work) all alone in my corner, especially for a product that does not belong to me.
I can only give a helping hand.
I did (from the good work of Metzzo) a GLB->HTML5 version that works perfectly for 2D and I wanted to adapt it to 3D, but I was told that the Emscripten compiler for GLB worked well, so I gave up.
You say that your main platforms are now Windows and Android, so maybe working on a good DirectX/Openg /Vulkan (Metal?) wrapper of an external good engine would be a good idea to facilitate your work.
With that, thank you for your answers and good luck to Spacefractal for his new project.

spacefractal

Vulcan and Metal is two different api that is not combatible with each other and Metal only works on Apple machines. That is the problem. But If you do ask me, Vulcan is the better choice, because there DO exists wrappers to Metal.

Currectly im do working on stuff for..... Spectrum Next.

Im sold my mac when the machine became obsolete for no reason. Yes its was a 5-6 year old and have upgraded it to 8gb ram or such, but no go. Now the nailed it by removing both 32bit and OpenGL support. So combatible is not something Apple is worry of at all!

Even my self actuelly switched to Android last year, but its was just because.... Im broke my phone and needed one. But since im diddent do apps to mobiles anymore, im was more free to choice :-). Mobile apps was just more fun last decades  when they was new.

SnooPI

I just see on the Irrlicht forum that some had started working on Vulkan for this engine.
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
This may be interesting as Schranz0r is already working on a wrapper for Irrlicht.

Other than that, I have a question Spacefractal: I have a MacBook A1342 SSD (2010), can it still serve me or is it good to throw it in the trash? :D  :'(
I think I know the answer but I would like confirmation ;)

spacefractal

Xcode allways require the newest version of Mac OSx. If can't upgrade to that version, then you are out of luck. You do might can use the next newest, but not allways.

SnooPI

Apparently, since March, version 12 of the iOS SDK is required and therefore Xcode 10.
Xcode 10 requires a Mac running macOS 10.13.6 or later.

My maximum macOs version is 10.11.6

Okay in the trash ! :D ... :'( :'(

Thanks Spacefractal.

Moru

I never even thought of getting a mac, expensive, planned obsolete early and locked down so I can't do what I want. I'm using windows computers that are 15 years old and they work just fine as long as you keep a good firewall and stay away from stupid links. What I see at work, the iPhones are dwindling in usage over time, the Huaweis are taking over. Last time I was waiting for a flight there was ringtones from Huaweis everywhere :-)

So maybe we can safely forget about iPhones soon, the owners are known for buying more but even those are moving over to other platforms now so that behaviour will also change.

spacefractal

sell it. im did sold mine to a friend, which using it by different mean. he dosent use xcode anyway. xcode has allways been qutie annoying with hash requirements.

But we cant do native code for Apple devices anyway anymore. OpenGL does still works, but can come with a warning, but they do might remove it from the next version, which is 64bit only version.

64bit is howover NOT a issue. That part IS fixed. So 64bit requirements for Android later this year would not been a issue. its the move to Android Studio that is really.

Im did do have the mac 5-6 years or such, before it got obsolete, but still annoying, when im did upgraded the ram from 2gb to 8gb. There was something different none sense issue. Sierra was the last OS im could support on my mac. Im could purchase a new used mac around 2014 and such, but have no plans to do it. This is due OpenGL. But with a good HTML5 support, then its would not been a issue anymore.

PS. We can change this typic if you wish.

MrPlow

Guys,
My app building for Android still works for the higher APIs - not perfect - some Background activity behaviours that gooooogle doesnt like but otherwise working fine for my players. Even admob and iaps are still working on the versions I am using (for now anyway!)

The 64 bit is next thing so if SF or Gernot can solve that one using current build process that might keep android building going for  with GLB.

I am still using older versions of everything (cause I don't want to 'break' my setup)

I have just released another android app using this method:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gazzapper.asteroids.spaceshooter

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

SnooPI

Moru you are right.
Personally I don't like Apple systems at all (even their macOS I don't support it).

Quote from: spacefractal
sell it. im did sold mine to a friend, which using it by different mean. he dosent use xcode anyway. xcode has allways been qutie annoying with hash requirements.
When I bought it, it was already in bad shape (and it was already expensive for me), it was just to compile, and given its condition, it is unsellable :(
Maybe I'll put it on my TV and use it as a multimedia center.

This is good news for Android and for HTML5, I totally agree with you and Gernot, for now it's the best solution.

Quote from: spacefractal
PS. We can change this typic if you wish.
I don't understand, do you mean "topic"?  O_O

Quote from: MrPlow
I have just released another android app using this method:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gazzapper.asteroids.spaceshooter
:good: MrPlow

I'm happy that everything is working for you, but in fact we were talking mainly about other platforms (especially Apple) and the future with Opengl->Vulkan.

spacefractal

Just a little status is, we got a project compiling in android studio and is running. But that about it. So weafe now trying to deviver the sldactivity class to add glbasic stuff. But by now gls, native  sound, controllers and admob is not a priority. More to get it running first througt android studio. And no so is used this time.

MrPlow

This is really good news!  =D
A good ability would be to allow for inline java code so that items like admob and other sdks or code could be implemented at a lower level which would probably simplify the android builds without having  to change much to GLB.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs