Run on Mac - How to

Previous topic - Next topic

PeeJay

HELP!

If you have a look at a website that has linked to Danger Mouse - http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/04/weekend_download_35.php - and read the comments, it appears that numerous people are having problems with the Mac and Linux ports.

Could someone who is clued up on getting things working on these platforms have a look and see what the problem is? I have added a comment myself asking for detailed feedback, but whether I get any or not will remain a mystery ....

Thanks for any help
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Kitty Hello

PeeJay

That hasn't solved the problem - I've had the following email from a Mac user:-

QuoteIn any case, the RAR seems OK now, but the game still won't launch.  
Also, it's looking for the files in "@execution_path/../Frameworks",  
so I had to move the "Frameworks" directory to the same directory that  
contains the Danger Mouse directory.
Anyway, it flashes a new window a few times, then dies with this error:

fopen("gfx/fontpc.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
internal error: relative pathname and non-matching case sensitivity
cannot read directory gfx - watch case sensitivity for directory names!
fopen_case - bailing out
DangerMouse(23589,0xa0cf0074) malloc: *** mmap(size=1813184512) failed  
(error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Abort trap
That looks to me like it is hitting problems when trying to extract from the shoeboxed media file, but whether this is the only problem, I don't know. I'm sure it is something simple I'm doing wrong, but with no Mac experience, I don't know where to start ....
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

BasicMe

Here's what I had to do to get my program running on a Mac.

First, I also had a problem accessing shoebox files on the Mac.  Putting the files back into folders solved the problem, although obviously that's not ideal for protecting them from being "borrowed" by other games...anyone have advice regarding Mac shoeboxes?

Second, as far as the Mac runtime files go, copy the "Frameworks" folder containing the five library subfolders.  Paste it into the "[name].app/Contents" folder (where the "MacOS" folder is that contains the actual compiled game).

As soon as I fixed the shoebox & runtime files, the game ran fine on the Mac without further tweaking.

On a slight tangent, it's quite easy to change the icon on the Mac to a custom image.  First, pick the image you want to use (make sure it's square; 256x256 is a good resolution).  Open the image in Preview and choose copy.  Now locate your game file in Finder, right-click on the file, and choose "Get Info."  Click on the tiny image of its icon in the top-left of this window to select it and choose paste.  Done!