News:

*NEW* Current Version on STEAM16.793

Webchat:
Visit the chat

Desura

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Hello chaps,

I´ve heard about late payments from Desura to devs since a while ago.
Latest news report their owner filed bankrupcy.
Here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/05/desura-bankruptcy-bad-juju-games/#more-293199

We do have a few friends here selling their games over that store,
It would be interesting to hear what they have to say, did you run into any trouble?

Well, that is bad, I always thought good about Desura from the start.

Do we only have itch.io and humble bundle store left besides Steam?

MrTAToad

And on their website they said they were financially okay :)

erico

The magik about PR and industrial/institutional marketing.
Some say that they were lying, others state that at THAT time, it was their reality.

Strangely enough, last week I met a friend that I haven´t seen for about 7 years.
She is working with startups on digital marketing.

We had a little argument about the company´s work, as that as she said with fancy words seemed purely an excuse for SPAM to me. :D

MrTAToad

I wouldn't be surprised if there were dodgy goings on, or the parent company took on the company without a) checking its books anf b) making sure it was viable.

erico

There might also be the "kill the company, create a new one" move, but as the service is getting this kind of public attention,
I doubt such is viable.

bigsofty

Surprisingly enough they seemed to be a victim of over sales. Supposedly they were mid way through automising the sales processing as it currently was a manual system. They simply could not keep up with sales and we're falling more and more into debt in the process. If this is true then it's a monumentally stupid situation.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

I'm going to see what itch.io is like for showing off programs - I'll be starting off with my Triority/SDL2 games first to see how it all goes.

erico

I like itch.io system a lot, the owner seems to work really hard on the many usual app-store questions.
Either way, a good place to check is their blog here:
http://blog.itch.io/

some very nice info.