Gl_B Updates info

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

oh my...please Gernot, fix the virtual screen from the other platforms pretty pleeeaaase! :-[

Kitty Hello

What? Does usescreen not work?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

S.O.P.M.

I use a virtual screen and it works on Android. Just to confirm.
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

erico

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2014-Jul-19
What? Does usescreen not work?

It seems it dosen´t work with mac, I gave an extended shot with it with a friend, the drama is on this post:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9835.0  (edit:it has mixed off topic stuff within...)
Please bear with me as in that post I was trying to figure what happened, since it used to work, and it seemed strange to me at the time.
I tried old code for no good either.

It also seems to not work with pandora as I did a little bit of testing with Ian.
On android all is going fine.

I´m sure it did work a few versions before on GLB on Mac as I tested it on my same friend´s mac and my old hackintosh. I wonder about linux?
Please, count me up to anything you may need if you want to figure this out.

erico

Quote from: S.O.P.M. on 2014-Jul-19
I use a virtual screen and it works on Android. Just to confirm.

SOPM, can you compile a mac or pandora or linux version so we check it out? I somehow felt it was related to loading images+usescreen, but I´m really not sure.
Maybe your going could help this out?

spacefractal

its a mac exlusive issue and is also confirmed here (on a real mac). Also there is still vsync issue, which repeared in v12.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

It's not Mac exclusive - USESCREEN isn't working on Pandora now either. It used to, but not anymore. GRABSCREEN isn't working on Pandora either.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Blimey. How can that be? Is it related to alphatesting and alphamode, maybe? Can you post the console output?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

erico

Console Output? from normally compiling on a PC to a mac? Here it goes:
Wordcount:4661 commands
compile+link:
cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Users\JAC\Desktop\FUED\TREEHOUSE\TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM\MacIcon.icns
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/JAC/Desktop/FUED/TREEHOUSE/TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM/MacIcon.icns
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
Using icns type 'ic09' (ARGB) for 'C:\Users\JAC\Desktop\FUED\TREEHOUSE\TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM\tmpMacIcon.png'
Saved icns file to C:\Users\JAC\Desktop\FUED\TREEHOUSE\TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM\MacIcon.icns
Creating .app for TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM
run: "Q:\Tools\Icons.exe" "C:\Users\JAC\Desktop\FUED\TREEHOUSE\TH_AVOCADO_MAYHEM\icon.png" /MACOSX
success
Elapsed: 17.1 sec. Time: 12:07
Build: 1 succeeded.

And for pandora I get this:
Wordcount:4661 commands
compile+link:
Packing .pnd file
success
Elapsed: 18.7 sec. Time: 12:08
Build: 1 succeeded.

All GLBasic v12.096
I also have ALPHATESTING 0.0 before my display activities on the main loop.

spacefractal

You can testing it with the Erico Resolution Test. That one hitted the issue. The visual screen just diddent show at all. only the backbuffer drawn. This is not a issue im have, because im newer used visual screens at all.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Here the link to the resolution test thread, it has the project too:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9834.15

Virtual screens happen to be absurdly important for me, let me explain the reason cause maybe there is a way around it that I can´t figure out. The only way around for my purposes I can think mean a ton of work just to get to the same behavior.

I´m quite pixel purist and I want to have low res games going, so think of 320x240 resolution for example.
The purist here means:
- No transparency whatsoever,so I take either a pixel or an 100% transparent one.
- No rotation of sprites, where in a high resolution, the square pixel shapes as a diamond.
- No subpixel movement, the thing must move a pixel on the set resolution, never half.
- Never mixed pixel sizes.

So If I create a higher resolution(say, 640x480) as a first screen for my game, I´d have to calculate what the original pixel size means for this new high res(in this case 1 pixel means 4 pixels) and try to keep everything moving on this base system, ye, a unit of move would be 2 pixels. Huge problems would arise in my mind If the unit of movement is not an integer, would also waste a lot of space scaling the sprites to many resolution sets.

Therefore, making the game on my wanted resolution and simply scaling it at the end seems to be the fastest and easiest way to do it.

kanonet

Also probably there still is the old USESCREEN+SPRITE2MEM bug. Many of the other bugs from the V12 buglist may still be active - unfortunately the newer list was lost on forum crash.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64