Dingux (Dingoo A320) platform support

Previous topic - Next topic

kaotiklabs

Hi,

Is there any chance to support Dingux (Dingoo 320) platforms?
It seems that would not be very difficult with the custom linux kernel.

Due to the lack of GPH SDK, a lot of developers have switch to this cheaper platform (just 60â,¬!).
So, I think it would be a great idea to support it if is not so tricky.
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Kitty Hello

Do they program on the Linux port of that device?

kaotiklabs

Yes, absolutly.
Seems that the sdk provided by the manufacturer was not so good and the kernel source was not released (based on µC/OS-II).
Significant development with the manufacturer SDK is difficult without the source code of the Dingoo’s firmware, and other technical information becoming readily available. There are also limits to what can be achieved with the SDK alone.

So, the community started to work on a dual boot installer and a mipsel linux kernel with sdl for easy development. http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-linux/

People are doing a lot of development for Dingux, and some for the native OS. The preference for Linux is bigger due to the poor documentation and harder-to-find development tools for the native platform.

The boom of the Dingoo has surprised everybody. Maybe is caused by the lack of an official Wiz SDK, maybe because is so cheap, but in the end, the community is getting bigger and bigger each day. You only have to check gp32x, nearly all the new software is for this device.

So I believe it must be taken in consideration if supporting Dingux doesn't represent a big task.
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Youkaisan

Hi,

Yep, Dongoo is a lovely little machine with incredible low price... please add the support.

kaotiklabs

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Nov-02
Do they program on the Linux port of that device?

As a matter of confirmation, I asked this question on the gp32spain forum (one of the most active for dingoo development) and the answer was very clear.  =D

"Official sdk badly 2 releases each month, Dingux 4-5 each week! No one wants to develop using a non portable sdk..."

So, sounds very interesting.
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Sokurah

I bought a Dingoo a couple of weeks ago.
The idea was to use it for emulation only but I'd love to try and make a game for it too. :)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

doimus

I considered Dingoo for emulation but as TV-out feature is essential for my retro needs, and Dingoo has problems with TV-out and Genesis emulation, I have decided not to get it.

But I just HAD to buy myself a retro machine this Christmas season and have stumbled on this BABY:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8y-49-en-70-3ijj.html

Basically, a hanheld SEGA Megadrive with 20 games built-in and support for roms from the SD card. :good:

Kitty Hello

There's not even an SDL port for the Dingoo. And the support in English speaking areas is not too big. Hm...

kaotiklabs

Sorry, I must disagree.

There´s SDL for the Linux Port! (Dingux).
The libraries are included even on the first release of Dingux.
Everybody is coding over the linux port because has SDL. That´s the main reason of the port.

For example, watch the first tests over sdl (May 2009):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCGW4ZZMNmo

Here you can download the latest toolchains if you would like to take a look.
http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-linux/downloads/list

As you said, support is not too big, that´s true, but even keeping this in mind is still easier to develop than the wiz. That´s why a lot of coders are swaping.

Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

MrTAToad

If it supports Ubuntu, then no work will need to be done :)

kaotiklabs

Well, it just need to be compiled for mipsel arch.
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Kitty Hello

OK, that looks pretty complete then. I'll try to get a compiler working then. Should be an easy port if SDL is available.

Sebastian

I was just about to order a GP2X Wiz when I came across the Dingoo A320. Next step: search for GLBasic support. Amazing that more people are interested in Dingoo support. I hope it will be added, in the maintime I'll save my money and continue programming  :booze: