Sprite Speed Tester II

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Nice. You should have an option to set the size of the sprites. If your scale is off then it freezes the size, which is pretty random for each. Would be a better indicator of FPS if could have another slider to set the size when scaling is off. And would be good if when turn off rotation it set angles to zero, so then can see the FPS when the sprites are not rotated at all.

Can't see it in example but it would be nice to also have an option to show the sprites with ROTOZOOMSPRITE (maybe DRAWSPRITE if zoom and rotation are off), with POLYVECTOR, and totally in 3D (flat 3D plain).

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

MrTAToad

ROTOZOOMSPRITE is currently used for the display, and may change to DRAWSPRITE if zoom and rotation is off...

Wampus

How about we all collate results for Android? (and other devices)

Could be useful as a rough benchmark.

MrTAToad

Its now been updated (again) - go to the Showroom for the latest version (also has the Linux version).

If rotation and scaling is off, then you can choose between DrawSprite (DS on) or Polyvector (graphics have a yellow tint).  On my Android "machine", I have noticed that Polyvector does slow things down a bit with a lot of objects

To show how poor my Android machine is, these are my average speeds with 16 sprites :

Rotate   Scale   Anti-Alias  DrawSprite   Average
                               X                X              7.4
                                                 X              8.0
    X                                                           8.9
                 X                                              8.6
                               X                                7.8
    X                         X                                7.6
                 X            X                                7.3

All in all, rotation and scaling with small amounts of graphics doesn't really affect fps much

fuzzy70

Interesting set of results.

In windows 60fps with 1k sprites, I lose 3 fps activating rotation then a further 17-18fps activating scaling. In linux the same initial 60fps but activating scaling or rotation (or both) results in a rock steady 30fps.

Also if I run the windows version in linux via wine the 60fps frame limiting does not work & I get 230fps (1k sprites) initial which drops to 53fps with rotate & when I activate scaling it drops 7fps to 46fps total.

Machine is nothing fancy, core2 duo 2.13ghz with Nvidia 240GT gfx card. Hardly cutting edge but plays world of warcraft without a sweat & thats good enough for me  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Wampus

I knew the Galaxy S II had decent performance. However, this is the first time I've got a sense of just how decent it really is. With 300 sprites, alphamode -1.0 (or any setting for alphamode:

Rotate      Scale       Anti-Alias      DrawSprite      Average
                                x                   x                      ~59
x                                                                           ~59
                  x                                                         ~44
                                x                                           ~59
x                              x                                            ~59
x                x             x                                           ~43

The only thing that seems to slow it down is scaling. Even still, its inconceivable that a real-world 2D game would ever cause it problems.

MrTAToad

Indeed - no game would have 300 sprite zooming and rotating :)

Ruidesco

As there's been stated before, zooming the sprites tolls the framerate heaps more than either rotating, antialiasing or DRAWSPRITE vs. POLYVECTOR.
With everything on but rotation this machine can maintain a healthy and steady 60+ FPS. Check zooming, and even unchecking everything else won't make it go over 44 FPS or so.

Wampus

Can I request coloured POLYVECTORS be added to the sprite testing?

I know in some cases using anything but RGB(255,255,255) can reduce framerates quite dramatically. For example, my iPod 3GS can struggle with it, which is why I shy away from using it.

MrTAToad

You've got the option when you stop rotation and scaling - untick the DS option and the sprites will be tinted yellow.

mentalthink

HI I have this in my PC

59.885 whit AA and DS (what´s it´s DS  :-[)

whit scaling and rotate (all)
between 32 and 44
Moving alpha betwwen all slider, transparency and not, and glow FX the same...

My Graphics card it´s a 460  GTX standard Edition NVIDIA