100$ laptop, finally?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Ian Price

Whilst cheap computers sound like a great idea (and is certainly great for the wallet), I can't help but worry that, at that price, they will soon become disposable.

People will readily upgrade to a newer, cheape more powerful pc/laptop and throw away their old one - pc specs are being updated nearly daily, so how long will people hold onto them? Also the quality of components and manufacturing has to be taken into account too - will they even last long enough until you are ready to be upgraded?

However, the need for computers to be as powerful as they are is only due to poor programming (don't bother to optimise, we'll just wait for the gfx card that does what we need it to do), and pc and gfx card manufactureres knowing that.

For the majority of all work done on pcs now, you could use 8bit machines. Most pcs are not used specifically for gaming.

Whilst the above may make it sound I'm anti-technology, I'm not, but at the same time we have to look at the effect technology has had and is having on our world. I'm not a wierdy beardy either, as I don't believe for a second that mankind is responsible for global warming (and may be contributing to the problem). But if we are affecting our future (remember the planet will still be here when we are not), then we need to be more careful and don't necessarily give the people what they think they want.

You also have to ask - who are these sub £100 pcs aimed at? Are they for schoolchildren? If so, why? I never had or needed a pc when I was at school - we had books and good teachers. Kids and schools don't need them (pcs, not teachers!)- they just want them and feel that they should have them to be able to keep up (with whom/what?). In this country, I see schools buying pcs left right and centre, however then they are asking for donations/sponsorships etc. to help buy books, pens and pencils. WTF? Buy the books and forget the pcs!

Kids can barely read and write as it is, go back to the basics - use proper lessons to teach kids how to use their skills, their imaginations, their talents - not how to look something up on google and copy it, word for word.

[EDIT] Despite all of the above, it's a pretty nice machine by the looks of things :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

You're probably right. I don't like out throw-it-all-away society, too. (No matter what we dispose off). Though, I've been looking for a non-fan, ssd-disk, cheapo machine as an e-book for bedtime for some time, now.
Also something that boots quickly (less than 30 secs) and show me the current tv guide on a screen >= 800x600 would be handy.

Ian Price

Yeah despite my apparent negativity, there's no denying that it's a nice, tidy and efficient little machine :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Albert

ARM? Linux or WINCE says the sign on the table. So it not so good if you want to write and compile simple programs...

Ian Price

QuoteSo it not so good if you want to write and compile simple programs...

I don't think that it is what it was intended for. It appears to be a simple and practical mini-notebook - something that the average kid would use at school etc., not for coding or gaming etc.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-Sep-23
http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linux-laptop-the-hivision-mininote

interesting mini, a cheap machine
...access spiders, maps, weather, forums, myspace..
I might get one for the kids for our vacations/roadtrips.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Albert

Ok, so I bought a sub-notebook. Please don't hurt me!
Vye S18
7" widescreen 800x480 native
500 Mhz AMD geode 512 Mb mem (share with video memory)
less than 1 Kg
rotateable Touchscreen
I installed a lot of programming tool, like Visual Studio Express C++, C#, Embedded Visual C++, Dev-C, and Pocket PC emulation (Device emulator)
It's suprisingly well! Windows XP running fast, I can compile little programs. But the opengl support is not so good, all the glBasic compiled projects running in software render (I get an alertmessage with a long message from "Kitty Hello" :) about should update my drivers to run openGL hardware accelerated or what), really slow :( Other Opengl programs're working fine like Uplink.

Ian Price

Any links for this?  I've not seen a touchscreen notebook for less than $100.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

Only place i can find one is EBAY
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Albert

Quote from: Ian Price on 2008-Oct-28
Any links for this?  I've not seen a touchscreen notebook for less than $100.
Actually it was around 270.00 USD

Ian Price

Ooooook.... The thread was about sub $100 laptops. :S

$270 is still pretty good for a touchscreen mini-laptop.
I came. I saw. I played.