Vector Particles, Volcano

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

I played the another world sequel through some emulation as iirc it was only avai on some strange add on to a classic system =D but while beautiful. The game kind of sucked.

bigsofty

@CW:

This is a great article about the inner working of Erics engine for Another World. yet again, I am so impressed (A virtual machine before Java!).

http://fabiensanglard.net/anotherWorld_code_review/index.php
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

CW

A fantastic article, Big Softy. That's what's great about programers. Even those of us with lowly skill levels can appreciate the magic of a great program in a way non-programers never will. I can see your point, after reading the article, on why the creation of a graphics engine to drive the game is so impressive, and I fully agree the guy is total genius.

As described by the article, in constructing a "virtual machine", Eric basically wrote his own, very small, interpretive computer language (like BASIC, for example; or more accurately, like a small assembler). He then programed the actual game itself in that! Moving the game to a new platform is extremely simple. Only the very small virtual machine needed to be translated over. The commands for the virtual machine, which form the game, are exactly the same.
Wow!  :nw:
It's been 22 years, and we are STILL drooling over it.   =D LOL
THAT is good coding.

What really blows my mind is that the entire game fit on a 3" floppy; and 40% of THAT was sound! Sheesh! 

Thanks for posting this, Softy. I really enjoyed it.
-CW

erico

The article is amazing :O
I didn´t know the author had gone through all that trouble to put up such a nice game.
I wonder if he drew things on code or made an editor for drawing and animating.

I still prefer the original amiga version over the more nowadays ones ;) ...altough I remember other same-time versions to have some extra animations, similar to flashback.

Just love that polygon art style :-*

Kind of reminds me a bit of ´cruise for a corpse´ too.