Decouple help viewer from editor

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureCow

I think it would be really handy if you were able to decouple the help viewer from the GLBasic editor. I find it frustrating when I look up the help file for something then can't alt-tab back to the editor so I can leave the help open to refer to it. Instead I have to close the help file before I can look at my editor window again. Yes, i know I can open the chm file by hand, but then you lose being able to press F1 to get keyword help.

I understand this would probably be a low priority (as opening the chm file manually is an easy work-around), but if it's possible to unlink them (while maintaining the "f1" keyword help feature) then that would be great.

Moru

Yes but as he says, that looses the F1 keyword lookup ability of the editor

Kitty Hello

It was a bug. It's fixed. The help is now a seperate process and does no longer lock the editor. Why hasn't anyone told me this before???

Version 7 - just a few days, I promise.

Moru

Never thought of it as a bug since many other programs behave the same way...

FutureCow

In fact Gernot, why not release the help files in html format as well as the chm seeing as that's what's inside the chm anyway?

Glad to hear it's decoupled in version 7. Now about that beta...  :whistle:

Kitty Hello

Help as html is a slight problem, because the files change and I have a lot of work to update them for the setups then.

FutureCow

HTML would be good, but not if it's painful for you to produce. I'm happy with chm being separated. Thanks!!!

Hemlos

While we are improving the editor...

If you drag the jump window into the bottom window, you cant use the blue button, to make the compiler view on bottom disapear.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Moru

If you play around too much with the jump window you can make GLBasic lock up :-) To get rid of the compiler window press F12.

Hemlos

Quote from: Moru on 2009-Jul-10
If you play around too much with the jump window you can make GLBasic lock up :-) To get rid of the compiler window press F12.

I want to move the jump window to the bottom window, AND get rid of the bottom window.
Moving it down works fine...but F12 doesnt work at this point.

Thats my point, and it would be cool if it would work as intended.

Kitty Hello

Hemlos

The compiler window disapears, but the jump box fills in the bottom box in its place (if the jump window is down there)