Dependency Walker for DLL's

Previous topic - Next topic

jestermon

I had no idea where to post this, so I hope "3rd Party is correct" - please move if needed  :-*

I started playing with the WIN32-DLL option, to see to what extent I can use GLB for writing quick and dirty DLL's (As everyone knows, GLB codes at least 4 times faster that clean c). However I need to test and see what functions are exposed from any dll, and I use the Dependency Walker from Steve Miller.  http://www.dependencywalker.com/

I thought I might share a link to this awesome tool, if someone is not yet aware of it.
It shows exactly which functions can be called from a dll- Not the function parameters though (That's still in all our dreams).

Julian

I've been using this tool for years. Its great. If you want the actual parameters you can try API Monitor. I haven't tested it though. I write my own API hooks if I need to intercept a call.

jestermon

Quote from: Julian on 2012-Oct-02
If you want the actual parameters you can try API Monitor. I haven't tested it though.
Downloaded, tested and approved. A really exellent tool. Thanks for the link Julian.

Julian

Nice to hear the tool works good. I read a small article about it in a magazine but never tried it. If there is any interest in hooking APIs by hand I could write a small tutorial. But I don't know if
a. this is the right community (it has nothing to do with GLBasic)
b. my English is good enough
But if there is enough interest I can at least try.

jestermon

I always try to get a broad spectum of interests of users in a forum in order to tailor my posts within "logical" boundaries. Its not accurate, but a good indicator. I found that there are real gurus who have been around a while, and they echo the main "objectives" IMO.  Get the game out, learn along the way, and have fun doing it.
Yet there are the techno-freaks like myself who love a good story. So lay it on. It wont be OT, since integration is key to any product and platform.