Helicopter Flight Simulator Game, 2012, alpha

Previous topic - Next topic

WPShadow

Hey, how about a Sci Fi - Flight Simulation with 2 or 3 Cities/Airports, some little Missions ("bring 5 passengers to city A"/"take the route across the hills [fast wind]), if you want, there's also the alternative to make trading, war, combat missions, sport's - flying and so on...

If necessary, I can make a little concept this weekend!
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est

doimus

I voted for WW2 or modern with helicopters. Also, the bomber-only option is interesting.
Also, when I say modern, I think about 1982 Cold War. :)

I'm also for more of a semi-arcade approach. With realistic flight model, damage and limited ammunition, but without complex controls.

Here are some of my favourite flight sims (which almost all have an unique twist to the subject):

- LHX attack chopper: arcade helicopter sim, with multiple flyable choppers. I still play this in DosBox, it's perfect for quick arcade play.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/lhx-attack-chopper

- F-15 Strike Eagle II - same as above. Arcade flight-sim that almost anyone can pick up instantly
http://www.mobygames.com/game/f-15-strike-eagle-ii

- Aces of the Pacific / Aces Over Europe - these were fun as they allowed you to play with both classic fighters AND bombers. Not many games allowed you to fly torpedo bomber into action!
http://www.mobygames.com/game/aces-of-the-pacific

- Tornado - this is probably my favourite flight-sim I never play! :) It's just too damn complex, but fun at the same time. I love flight sims where you aren't flying the fastest and deadliest plane on the battlefield, and Tornado is exactly that! Also, there was huge amount of strategy involved: you had to plan your mission in advance and mainly go on autopilot through the mission, flying low over the ground to avoid SAM and enemy fighters.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/tornado

All of the above would work perfectly for a MMO, with some modifications. There could be persistent battlefield where ground forces are controlled by AI and air forces by human players. Ground forces are involved into combat that's basically tied without the intervention of air forces.
Players can fly fighter bombers and help the AI win the ground battle or get into fighters and get involved in PvP combat.

There could be SAM and AAA sites that regenerate/respawn periodically. That way, players will first have to use bombers to destroy SAM sites, in order to enable fighters and bomers to attack enemy forces.

bigsofty

A mini Battlefield Europe (WW2), would be nice, plane missions only, strategic bombing, protect the fighter group, dog fighting etc...
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

@WPShadow:
Your mind is flowing with pure creativity, dont ever stop that.
For now, we will stick to the current poll, and when the poll is over...we will make a new poll and i will see which if your ideas directly pertain to the direction of our next vote.

@Bigsofty:
I like the way you think Big guy, i think we will be flying together one day ;)
Are you interested in joining our team of developers, (pick a catagory from the list in first message)?
You dont have to join the roster, involvment in the discussions is MUCH appreciated indeed.

@everyone:
Dont be discouraged if the game you want isnt the first to be made.
I plan on doing other projects, as this one will likely only be a proof-of-concept, and not nessecarily a commercial production...likely it will go into the GLBasic showroom, but no guarantees there.

What i can guarantee:
We will be having a series of voting here....when this poll is over, i will create a more refined poll directly based on the results of this one.
Once we get some descisions done, i will begin to make standardized development outlines.

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

amarliani

@hemlos
Sorry, I was out of duty for two days. Regarding images - I'm no graphics magician, but fairly ok. Lets see as soon as you do have some material to play with. Otherwise I'll ask a friend of mine for some help in this :)

WPShadow

@hemlos
I'm happy, if I can help! At first I've to finished my game for the Contest!!!

But I'm ready for the work! Night & Day...
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est

Hemlos

Amar, i will make a guideline for you on my blog, i will send you a link when it is ready.

Wpshadow goodluck buddy, the competition is stiff!

bigsofty

Quote from: Hemlos on 2009-Nov-26@Bigsofty:
I like the way you think Big guy, i think we will be flying together one day ;)
Are you interested in joining our team of developers, (pick a catagory from the list in first message)?
You dont have to join the roster, involvment in the discussions is MUCH appreciated indeed.

Thanks for the offer bud, maybe I can help out, once my own project is complete, I have to get that finished or the wife will beat me up! :noggin: But this definitely sounds like a great project, very tempting...  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

@big:
Better not piss her off!

@amar:
I linked the webmaster roster title in the first message to the dev blog, there you can find a guideline.

Hemlos

The Poll is going in an interesting direction..

So far after 1 day, the Air Racing is in the lead!  :rtfm:

Hemlos

Quote from: Ocean on 2009-Nov-27
could become a theme, for instance by adding standard pylon racing as well (Reno & other venues).

Ahhh Welcome to the discussion Ocean!

I will add this information to the research document, if this is the direction we go in.
Your 2 cents, just as above, will be priceless in the end.
If you would like, i can add you to the Research Squad Roster?
Really its just a title, for people to see, as anything you input is worthy of research.

doimus

As someone who is interested in content creation... I say let's stick to real world machinery. Lots of reference materials around. Go Sci-Fi and design jumps into the picture and that is one waaay bigger bite to chew.

Also, for commercial app - watch for copyrights. Military planes are probably safe, but civilian, competition planes and venues are probably trademarked and that == trouble. There's a reason you don't see many Formula 1 indie games around.
Better to play safe from start, than to get cease-and-desist when it's finished.

Hemlos

Quote from: doimus on 2009-Nov-27

Better to play safe from start, than to get cease-and-desist when it's finished.

Well put, indeed, i will add this to a research outline, DOTDWT.
I will add this acronym to the list in message 1.
Depending on the direction we take...seem to use it alot right now.

I never planned on using "Redbull" in the name , nor anything involving it within the program. However, i was thinking more along the lines of the idea, of how the races are played. Ocean stated, ideas refering to other types of flying races, which are more a standardized race as opposed to a namesake style. DOTDWT if the air races are the winner. :)

Hatonastick

I think it needs more turtles.  And maybe a Domino that says "I've fallen and I can't get up!".

Seriously though I wish you the best with this massive undertaking!  Now if it had been WWI aircraft I'd have joined.  Maybe.  =D

Hemlos

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2009-Nov-27
I think it needs more turtles.  And maybe a Domino that says "I've fallen and I can't get up!".

Seriously though I wish you the best with this massive undertaking!  Now if it had been WWI aircraft I'd have joined.  Maybe.  =D

Well, stick around, it just might end up that way.....

Once i get a general idea where we go with planes(if), then we will be voting on time era for the planes.........and it might happen, that in the game, you can choose a time period for the race, having a theme for planes in each race!
...i think it might be possible we end up in a sopwith camel

PS. if you havent voted, please your vote is important to us, even if you dont ever play or join our discussions. The general public concensus is important here.
You can use all 4 votes, or just one.