Helicopter Flight Simulator Game, 2012, alpha

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

News:

I just completed the freelook cam, it is rigid to the flight model.
Its rusty, but it works as if you were sitting in the pilot seat looking around.
This is great, because the real hardcore players will be using infrared mouse head gear for freelooking.

When in freelook cam, it "feels" more natural in the way you look out your aircraft.

Ill be implementing this for infantry too.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

amarliani

@Hemlos:
Ahh.. ran into some problems with setting up Joomla on that site, therefore I choosed an other of which I knew is quite secure. Not one of those "spam me till I'm dead" sites... But it will be just for the development phase, as I think. We can't use one of those free hosters for the real site later on - just too many ads on all of them.
BTW: Whom do you want me to add to the editor's list? Whole development team, I think? And any idea in which direction the name will go? It's hard to think about any logo or so without that name, so I will at first raise a sort of "blank" site, just to see if you can agree with my basic thougts about site design.

Hemlos

Quote from: amarliani on 2009-Dec-06
We can't use one of those free hosters for the real site later on - just too many ads on all of them.

I have a solution...ill work on it, in a few days.

Schranz0r

I can help if You(Hemlos) have some problems  :whip:

=D
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

Hemlos

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2009-Dec-06
I can help if You(Hemlos) have some problems  :whip:

=D

Awesome, with web or game, both?

@Gernot:

G.I.No

Schranz0r

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Hemlos

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2009-Dec-07
both  :-[

Good :)

Do you want me to add you to the dev rosters as we go along?

Schranz0r

PC:

Hemlos

To reitterate on physics:

The physics will be based on the actual dimensions of the first helicopter.
This object will be the reference to world scale, which will have a direct affect on scale for altitude and speed.

So it is 60 feet tall in the 3d world....in real life it is 20 feet tall, so the world scale is 3:1, which means for every 3 positions...it is one foot...and this is how all distance and speed will be modified.

And subsequent objects added to the world must be directly scaled relative to the first heli in the 3d creation program.

And update of progress:

The helicopter looks great now...with more realistic detailing, including a particle system showing smoke exhaust from the engine, and particles for dust on the ground moving away from chopper, and also the tail rotor is spinning.
(screenshot below)
The game is ready for a terrrain world object.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hemlos

Quote from: Ocean on 2009-Dec-09

"STRAFING : Scene/venue"

Good suggestion.
Remember tho..this isnt just a flight sim...it will start as one, gowever, it will become more like a combat sim in the end.

(got another major programming endeavor on my way, as you know... ;)

mmhmm, good luck with it!

if you get your chopper sim in a flyable condition and get to a point where you are simulating a cockpit I could help you with testing your simulation of the primary flight instruments

Its flying, and now the details need to be filled in!

Quote(basic six) and avionics (VOR/ILS/ADF/GPS, etc.).

You can help me with information about instrumentations?

Well, for avionics aids, this will certainly be "game".
GPS based mapping system to indicate your position, and location anywhere using the mouse on the map.
ADF...you select base, or friendly aircraft, the ADF standard pointer.

These analog guages will be made: ADF, compass, altimeter, speedometer(IAS), slip indicator, a horizon, fuel, oil, am i missing anything not related to landing systems?

how do you like the ndis so far(not done)?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hemlos

@Hatonastick, erico, ian price, Schranz0r, Ocean:

I appreciate you guys popping in with suggestions.
Do any of you want to be added to the roster?
Which ones, tester, artist, research, web?

Hatonastick

I could probably manage tester.  I'm too unreliable with regards to anything overly technical as thinking only happens on days my brain works, but I'm pretty sure I could manage being a tester even on my off days.

Hemlos

Quote from: Ocean on 2009-Dec-10
bank angle
'vertical speed indicator'.

ok and ok, thanks for the corrections, i appreciate this.

Slip is a phenomenon in airplanes, i dont think there is slip in choppers anyhow, right?

FutureCow

With due respect to Ocean and any other people who know planes, though I'm all for correctness just remember (for anything to do with the game) that most gamers won't give a hoot what you call the instruments, what most are actually showing and how closely they resemble and act like the real thing. All they'll care about is that the cockpit roughly correct and anything in it is just background graphics that act as support to the primary objective (assuming that objective is a fun game). If you want an accurate sim then put features in like dials to change air/fuel mixes or whatever highly technical details you have in a real plane (I'm guessing, I have no knowledge of a cockpit other than what Microsoft Flight Sim gave me 10 years ago :D ) - but if you want a game then my suspicion (and I might very well be wrong) is that all gamers are likely to want is say altitude and radar that they actually need to play, and everything else just needs to look vaguely like an instrument that belongs on an aeroplane. Whether further instruments are correct and display what they do in the real world won't be relevant as gamers just simply want to make the plane point in a direction and get on with playing the game, not worry about the real world pushing of 12 buttons, pulling 4 levers and checking 8 instruments to make a real aircraft actually do it.

In summary, if it's to be a game rather than a real sim, please ensure that you don't end up sacrificing playability for accuracy. Show me one racing car game where you have to do something to make sure your seatbelt is done up for example and I'll show you a game that no-one plays.