3ds max 2008-2012(32-64bit) Exporter for Gl Basic. UPDATED to V0.2

Previous topic - Next topic

VlasovAlexey

GL Basic Tools is a script based plug-in used for exporting geometry, textures and scene data into GL Basic formats *.DDA and *.DDW.
It supports:

- any type of objects and primitives (Skinning, Cloth, Soft Body, Particles etc )
- any version of 3ds max starting with 2008 and above (32 and 64 bit)
- batching files and directories

More info(scenes and project examples) and download: http://scan3d.ru/index.php/productsmenu/gl-basic-tools

bigsofty

I don't personally use 3DSMax but I can see this being a godsend for the people that do, well done!  :good:

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

doimus

mentalthink

:nw: :nw: :nw: ... but the link don´t works, please put it, I´m very nervous. :offtopic:

Thanks for this awesome work.

Kinds Regards,
Iván J.

matchy

That's great and I'm interested in testing. The link is not working but could we see some samples, especially the particles and animation?!

VlasovAlexey

My terrible provider going up!

VlasovAlexey

Some Peoples ask me about price. This plug-in is free and developed for fun(learn Max Script and Object Oriented Programming) and absolutely free but have COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE (CDDL).

mentalthink

Only 2 words, PERFECT and AWESOME.
The best easy way for pùt 3d max models on Glbasic, Unwrapped model Works fine, Skinned meshes whit CAT, works perfectly.

Thanks Alexay.
:enc: :booze: :happy: :nw:

pinete

Great!!! thanks so much for this amazing tool!

Kitty Hello

Just one question left. Isn't 3D max a tiny bit expensive?

mentalthink

Yes Gernnot, I think now, make a couple of years Autodesk sells, a student version, I´m not sure about this.

Well but for make animated models is very easy whit CAT, and like modeler for me is a one of the best of the market, a part have a lot of plugins for rendering, and another tasks.

Another point, is, in example in Spain and a great part of Europe, the 99% of studios use it, or MAYA, and a little percentaje Cinema 4D (another great tool, I think is better for some projects), a little group uses LigthWave. This fact it´s only becucause 3d Studio, was the first seriously 3D suite for Ms-Dos. There be tools, very cheaper like Coat 3D or Silo, and they are awesome software.

But how I sayed, is a great step for users of 3ds MAX, now is hyper- easy make complex and "cool" models into GLbasic. For me basically is for the animated character, in another softwares I don´t know or I don´t look, things like Character Studio or Cat, in another suites all the animations are maded by bones and Squeletons, what you have made by yourself, and is a hard work and a lot of time to set a skeleton and animated this bones.

I think, it´s a propourse and personal opinion, Glbasic, will have got more capacity in th 3D section, like more shaders, can touch more parameters of lights, a 3d engine physics... but well I´m not the creator of Gbasic and I think do all this, can be a very hard job, but I think, from my perspective, a great part of future users of Glbasic, look the 3D more than the 2D. The young people born whit 3D.

Kinds Regards,
Iván J.

ampos

check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

mentalthink

yes on Amiga C4d too, and Sculp3d, but in MS-DOS and the begginig whit W95, this was the Kind.
I really think is very expensive. But Autodesk have this politic, Cinema 4d is too much easy , cheaper, and have thing what anyelse have, in ex. Bobypaint, the best 3d painting tool in real time, much better in some cases than photoshop, speaking in 3d terms.

PS: Ligthwave is for me one of the better soft, make something whit him, is really quickly, more than any other suite.
And the interface is very pretty, don´t have all fill whit color icons.

matchy

gmax is free!

The GLB 3D Convertor tool works well to import 3ds materials but is fault to stitch a 3ds series. 3ds -> obj series import fine but lose their materials.
Other alternatives is a command like * -> .ddd/.dda converter to help with scripting.  Currently I animated with each frame as separate objects, which I guess is okay. Overall it's easy to convert the frames manually, but automating is desired to streamline creativity.

Generally, I've tested the Max Script and it works well but I've have to replace #startupScripts to #userScripts to allow to save the ini file settings. 
I couldn't get non-standard materials to import though so I'd would really, really, really appreciate if this was working.

Here is the example 3ds file that I can't get working:

[attachment deleted by admin]

mentalthink

Hi Matchy, the problem about a standar material, not is great trouble. In example you can use a scene and apply a Ligthmap or Complete Map, if you press the 0 button on the keyboard,(not on the numeric part Rigth of keyboard), you can see how export a texture, using the engine what do you want, Vray, Final Render, ETC, (except Unbiased RENDERS) and the use this texture in a standar material.

If you need help, I think the next week I upload a tutorial to youtube

Ivan J.