3d-Billboarding

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

As a test,
I am using x_sprite to do the particles in SpriteZ-3d.
These always face the camera.
However, I noticed one thing of concern, they dont blend very well.
This happens when many particles overlap.
Is there a solution for this, or an alternative perhaps?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

You must z-order them back to fron when you are using alpha blending.

bigsofty

I tried this a long time back, the current bilboarding is pretty slow and adding having to zsort hundereds of particles slows it even further.

Since GL point sprites ARB extension is used in most, if not all, of the used GLBasics OpenGLES/OpenGL libraries implementing point sprites would speed up the rendering and make them look a lot better without the overhead of Z-Sorting too.

Maybe a new request for the syntax to be added to the 3D lib, since it would be a nice addition for all?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

ok, on my TODO.

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Oct-02
ok, on my TODO.
Excellent! This would be a great addition to the 3D command set, thanks Gernot! :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

Bigsofty,
Do you know how to make this as a shader(frag,vert)?

bigsofty

Never tried bud? :doubt:

Can't either, still stuck, visiting a sick relative, for at least the next week...  :(

Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

@Gernot:
Here is a link to point sprite library stuff for opengl.
http://www.codesampler.com/oglsrc/oglsrc_6.htm
The point sprites download has everything, maybe you can make sense of it?

@Bigsofty:
Ah sorry to hear about the familly being sick.
Np about shaders.
When you get a chance, could you add a sample showing 6dof camera with your camera library?
I have a 3d joystick i want to test out.