3D question

Previous topic - Next topic

q_hool

Hello, i'm testing glbasic for 3D purposes, i have seen the 3D maze demo, and for me it's amazing.
I have experience in 2D games, and i would like to enter on 3D programming, so i have some questions,
how can i make a 3D map and then load it to my test, like loading objects, in GLbasic? it's a hard work for it? 

Thanks

Kuron

Using the 3D maze as an example, it would not be much different than what you are used to with 2D.  You could store the data for the maze in an external file.  Instead of using the X,Y representation for a tile, you would place a textured cube in that space.  The only real difference is you would be adding the "Z" paramater.  For an example like 3D maze, you could literally create the level in any text editor.  You could just use a cube (which is a primitive) and apply a texture to it, you would not even need a modeling program for this.

For more advanced 3D, there are various modeling programs and level design programs which are beneficial, although it can be a chore to find which one works best for you and your needs.

Edit:  You might want to look in the showroom, there is an example level designer in there.

q_hool

Yes, the "Z" parameter it's the most significative change than 2D programming, and i'm a little lost with it.
I will read a book of 3D programming fundamentals or something...
A little question more, there's somehow to do it for GP2X?

Thanks

Kuron

Quote from: q_hool on 2008-Aug-09
Yes, the "Z" parameter it's the most significative change than 2D programming, and i'm a little lost with it.

Here is an easy way to think about it.  Z is perpendicular to X and Y.  Think of it as being the distance of the object from the camera.  Just like when you are taking a picture of a forest, the trees furthest away from you will appear smaller because they are the furthest away from the lens of your camera.  The distance an object is away from you would be the Z parameter. 

Remember with 2D when you wanted to emulate 3D, you would use sprite scaling to make things look closer or further away from the player?  The scaling would be the equivalent of using the Z parameter in 3D to place objects closer or further away.  Remember Wing Commander?  It looked 3D, but it was 100% 2D and it used sprite scaling and transforming to make it look 3D.

Now with 3D, we do not need to use those tricks to emulate 3D.  We can literally create a 3D world, and with the use of the Z parameter we can determine the distance of where objects are placed in this world.  Think of the camera as a window in your house and the 3D world as the world you see when you look out of your window.

The concept of a "camera" can take some getting used to, but it really helps to think of it as it relates to the everyday world around us.

q_hool

Hello,

After a lot testings i can move in the world, i can move in X,Y and Z, but i can't get rotate around an object, how can i do that? how to move camera in first person and look around?

Thanks