NOAA GOES 15 & 13 - Satelite Weather Recorder and Time Lapse.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

NOAA GOES - West Hemisphere Satelite Weather Recorder and Time Lapse.

I couldnt hold this back anymore....it works good and its time to share a beta version.

The complete project is attached to this message.
This is a test, yet a fully functioning program.

Downloads the latest imagery, and plays it back in a time lapse.
You need to let it run for a few days to get a good lapse.

Edit:
I uploaded the previous 4 days, dating from the last upload time here, as it is not a cloud database, it is local aquisition.

More information can be found in the project.
Compile in GLBasic.

Version 140910:
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Hemlos

Bingo, found a european satelite = http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/eumet/neatl/
Next version will include this imagery as an option or something....i have to think about this.

So far my ram is under 2 gig with almost 3 weeks of imagery, looks good so far.

Another thing im thinking about ...not likely but mybe .... put up a host that serves an archive of imagery to the program, as opposed to downloading from noaa and building the archive locally.

erico

Quote from: Hemlos on 2014-Aug-24
So far my ram is under 2 gig with almost 3 weeks of imagery, looks good so far.

Great!

One thing, since you have an earth map going, can´t you do the same with, let´s say, the sky?
It could could probably be worth to those people into stars stuff and maybe there are data about that going on around the net.

So instead of looking into a ball, your camera could be inside the ball.
Just some idea.

Hemlos

'Be the ball, nananananana' -Chevy Chase, Caddy Shack

I will definetly keep it in mind, if i find a ball to sit in.

Hemlos

I have a solution for an loop of indefinite size....should be able to play years...on any computer.

Im going to do a small rewrite test, itll load 4 images only(2 that are showing, 2 are loading. And as the animation plays, itll load images, this will cause a delay and that delay will become the lower limit for the FPS timer.

As a sideffect, memory will be freed up big time!  :good:
Lets see how it goes, ill be back soon...

fuzzy70

Quote from: Hemlos on 2014-Sep-03
I have a solution for an loop of indefinite size....should be able to play years...on any computer.

Im going to do a small rewrite test, itll load 4 images only(2 that are showing, 2 are loading. And as the animation plays, itll load images, this will cause a delay and that delay will become the lower limit for the FPS timer.

As a sideffect, memory will be freed up big time!  :good:
Lets see how it goes, ill be back soon...
Sounds like possibly like a good solution.

:offtopic: BTW you don't happen to plan on a GLB Seti program do you  ;)

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Hemlos

SETI is a joke.  :bed:

Where is the best place to hide?   :D

Hemlos

Im trying to find a memory leak in this program.
Apparently ...even though i am only using 3 ID's for LOADSPRITE, the RAM on my computer gets used up after about 8 hours running.
The program crashes with a C++ runtime error message.

If anyone from the team could do a little testing and try to get the same results as i have, that would be greatly appreciated.
Or even better yet, just review the code and try to find a memory leak that i caused in the code.
Im not so sure its my code causing the leak, or is it GLBasic internally causing it?

Also, this program is one of many programs that go "BLACK SCREEN" when it is minimized for more than 15 minutes.

Hemlos

This is a screenshot of the error message i am getting..

fuzzy70

That's interesting, how did you manage to get a Visual C++ Runtime error when GLB progs use GCC?. Or is that error from the GLB IDE

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Hemlos

I was just running the binary on my desktop.
It does that after running the program for a while, hour or two.
Mind you it is loading 225 frames now (thats 450 images)
But they only load as they are used...reusing loadsprite 0 and 1 every frame.

I think it might be a memory leak in loadsprite or im not using it correctly?

The ram usage slowly increases with time.

fuzzy70

For some reason that error to me points to something else. Like I said earlier GLBasic uses GCC to compile the final program & all the library files that are used during compilation are GCC ones as VisualC ones are a completely different format & cannot be used in GCC (or vice-versa).

Because of that I can't see how your GLB program can cause a Visual C runtime error as it cant use it hence why I asked if it was your program & not the GLB IDE,which I believe is Visual C++ based judging by the runtimes being installed when you install GLB.

I have had VC runtime errors before (although never with GLB) & that was caused by a conflicting install of either a program or a driver & the solution was done by re-installing the runtime or on a couple of cases windows update had a newer version.

Very interesting problem though.

Lee

EDIT: I have just downloaded your program from the 1st post & will see what happens on my system, if the ram leaks I should get an error quicker than you as my test system only has 2GB of ram.
- "These go to eleven."

fuzzy70

Well I ran the program for around an hour minimized & when I clicked on the task bar to show it again all was fine as in no black screen but the animation showing as it should.

Memory usage had increased from the circa 40MB at start to around 120MB after the hour so definitely a leak somewhere, however I cannot for the life of me find my tracing program which shows every process/thread associated with a running program (gives way more info than windows task manager/resource monitor).

I did have to stop the program as it was rather cpu heavy, averaging around 50-60% usage, as I needed to do other things on my pc that required the cpu so didn't manage to get to the stage of running out of memory & the error you get.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Hemlos

I think i nailed the memory leak...i had made changes that i forget to follow up on in my core lib.
testing

New test is uploaded to the top of the thread.
Hopefully this version fixes all the 'issues' and i can move on.