The Golden Anniversary of BASIC

Previous topic - Next topic

TI-994A

Quote from: erico on 2014-May-05
Quote from: TI-994A on 2014-May-05
Hi erico. Qbasic? Really?
Yep, like this: http://www.blackannex.net/

Hi erico. Thanks for the link, but there's no way that Black Annex was developed in QBasic. Even the full QuickBasic would not have been able to pull that off. And, as it turns out, it wasn't.

According to the developer, only the program script was written with QBasic, but the program itself was built with an external compiler using SDL. It's like saying a program was developed with NotePad++.  :D
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

TI-994A

Quote from: finnk on 2014-May-06My brother gave me his hand-me-down computer and also said I should try Q-Basic... Later discovered an add-on library called Future.Library...

Hi finnk. The first years are always the sweetest.  :)

I remember using one of the earlier versions of the Future.Library. And if memory serves me right, it could not be used from the highly abridged QBasic. I believe that you must have been using QuickBasic v4.5.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

erico

Quote from: TI-994A on 2014-May-08
Quote from: erico on 2014-May-05
Quote from: TI-994A on 2014-May-05
Hi erico. Qbasic? Really?
Yep, like this: http://www.blackannex.net/

Hi erico. Thanks for the link, but there's no way that Black Annex was developed in QBasic. Even the full QuickBasic would not have been able to pull that off. And, as it turns out, it wasn't.

According to the developer, only the program script was written with QBasic, but the program itself was built with an external compiler using SDL. It's like saying a program was developed with NotePad++.  :D

This is what he states:
QuoteBlack Annex is written in BASIC, it's almost pure QBASIC, but to make it work on >16bit operating systems, it's translated to C at compile-time, links SDL for its interface work, and then compiles using GCC.

It used to be more qbasic back when it was just a personal hobby, it changed a lot as it grew to a multiplatform game nowadays.  But the process is not much different then ours, we get code translated to C++ but we code in Basic. Either way I see the point.

What I meant to say is that a "good" game can make a way to money made in whatever language and in a premium state.
I used to be against ADs but I changed my mind and I think it can be ok, even though I buy nothing of that sort.

Back on topic, I started in Basic for a COCO II and many years later made a huge jump to Amiga, which had the crappiest of-the-shelf basic I ever met.
I did dwell in Qbasic once or twice and made a moon patrol kind of game once but the REAL thing started with AMOS, a basic that gave me true power , I could see colors again! ::)

Then the amiga days were over and there was kind of an iatus between 1998 and 2007 where I struggled to find a proper AMOS replacement on the PC.
I did a few things with darkbasic but never really took it to the full.

One day I decided I had to have a proper BASIC for coding game and made a final search to figure out a solution based on my needs, and lucky me, I found timid GLBasic with its modest homepage. :D
The decision was between darkbasic pro and glbasic, I knew DB already but GLB offered so much more...I read the command list on the site, jumped in the forum and got the demo. Made a board game I never released for a competition to give it a spin, got really glad with the result, became happy and am going to be here forever  :D :booze:

I never did much code outside BASIC so that language really means a lot to me.

TI-994A

Quote from: erico on 2014-May-08...Amiga, which had the crappiest of-the-shelf basic I ever met.

...the REAL thing started with AMOS, a basic that gave me true power , I could see colors again! ::)

...I struggled to find a proper AMOS replacement on the PC.

...I decided I had to have a proper BASIC for coding game...

...lucky me, I found timid GLBasic with its modest homepage. :D

...I read the command list on the site, jumped in the forum and got the demo. Made a board game I never released for a competition to give it a spin, got really glad with the result, became happy and am going to be here forever  :D :booze:

I never did much code outside BASIC so that language really means a lot to me.

Hi erico. I must say, I really enjoyed your colourful and illustrative post! Thank you for that.  :good:

erico

naaah, it is just a basic post ;)

MrTAToad

Slydog

Yes, I do C. Sharp!
Now can we stop all this Smalltalk. 
(Ha, was taught that in University back in 1989!  OOP blew me away back then.)
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

erico

I still have a lot to learn FORTRANsforming my knowledge into something good, like game making! :sick:

mentalthink

TI-994A sorry for the late reply, I'm not here the same time from sometime ago...
Sorry I don't understood too much well your post (my deficient English  :rant:), but think you want say how make money with games?¿, I think how comment another friend with publish, or making this new called Freemium games, you have to buy some items for make better the game...

Really I think it's a very hard commerce, I think a good point it's make a very good game for PC, using the GreenLight of Steam, you don't waste in mobile phones, avoid headaches with the phones in this works in another fail this... I think the grenlight it's a great oportunity.

In fact I look somedays ago a game done with Dark Basic and it's a very interesting game, it's selling in Steam.

The only point fails GLBasic it's in the 3D engine, I think putting something more advanced , we can do spectacular things... the true it's in the forum only we are a few guys using 3D, and I think it's a grear work for Gernnot make this point, perhaps for a very Huge Update can be good, or for new coleagues in the forum...   (and fuc.. becauase I worte all this  =D =D =D  :-* :whistle: :sick: :puke: :nw: :help: :whip: :blink:  :D :D I need a bits of rest...  =D =D =D  )

spacefractal

im have used quite differents basic languages:
Amos, Blitz Basic, Blitz+, BlitzMax, Dark Basic Pro, Pure Basic and Glbasic.

- My favorits from above is still BlitzMax.
- Also Pure Basic is excellent for dll wrappers (only im have used it for).
- Glbasic is nice for mobile games, dispite slowless issues (not to been debated here).

With that in mind, a late congratulations.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

matchy

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-May-15
Amos, Blitz Basic, Blitz+, BlitzMax, Dark Basic Pro, Pure Basic and Glbasic.
8)
This is the same ultra cool path I have been on also regarding major gaming BASICs. Really liked AMOS and Blitz was big just before getting GLB because of it's multi platform compiler. I think VB6 DirectX fits in somewhere too but excluding many, many other minor irrelevant compilers like chipmunk.

TI-994A

Quote from: mentalthink on 2014-May-15...a good point it's make a very good game for PC, using the GreenLight of Steam, you don't waste in mobile phones, avoid headaches with the phones in this works in another fail this... I think the grenlight it's a great oportunity...
Hi mentalthink. You're right about Steam, but I'm not much of a game developer. That's probably the reason I have not used GLBasic too extensively; after three years, it's still not part of my core development toolbox.

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-May-15
im have used quite differents basic languages:
Amos, Blitz Basic, Blitz+, BlitzMax, Dark Basic Pro, Pure Basic and Glbasic...
Quote from: matchy on 2014-May-17This is the same ultra cool path I have been on also regarding major gaming BASICs. Really liked AMOS and Blitz was big just before getting GLB because of it's multi platform compiler.
Since VB6 was working so well, I used it exclusively for more than twelve years. Then, due to waning support and the need to develop for OSX, I found GLBasic and PureBasic in late 2010.

The greatest thing about PureBasic is its true cross-platform functionality; the very same code can be compiled on Windows, OSX, and Linux, and the resulting program would be small and fast, and built upon the native UI componentry of the respective OS.

GLBasic is still a diamond in the rough. Although mainly geared toward game development, it still has great potential for applications programming. Perhaps with some good inline C, and the ability to remove the unwanted SDL bloat.