iPhone questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Im looking to buy the full version of GLBasic but just wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding iPhone deployment

First, reading the posts on here im assuming that apps written with GLBasic can be sold in the Appstore if you have all the correct developers licence (which I do).

If this is correct am I right in thinking the steps involved are write the software on a pc and then build for iPhone, then take all the files built and copy them to the mac, open the project in xcode, add the dev licence details and then build to deploy to the simulator or the actual phone and then test. Once im happy then make the build in xcode for uploading and submit to apple

Also, does the 3d stuff work on the iPhone? im not thinking of using that at the moment but may do later on

Finally, has anyone here got any apps approved by Apple written with GLBasic? If so which ones so I can take a look at whats possible.

Thanks for your time
Gary

MrTAToad

QuoteFinally, has anyone here got any apps approved by Apple written with GLBasic? If so which ones so I can take a look at whats possible.
Gernot has - look for Wumbo's Adventure.

For the first part, the course of action is more or less correct.

Moru

While you can do all that just to test your game, it's much easier to just press F5 to run the game on your PC for testing, then when you are happy with it you do all the other steps to get it onto your iPhone for serious testing and then the app store :-)

Uncle

Quote from: Moru on 2009-Oct-04
While you can do all that just to test your game, it's much easier to just press F5 to run the game on your PC for testing, then when you are happy with it you do all the other steps to get it onto your iPhone for serious testing and then the app store :-)

Agree with what Moru says here for testing game logic its fine to run the game on the PC, however for performance testing compiling to the iphone is the way to go.  Also few features which work on the PC don't work on the iphone (no major show stoppers), and some have work arounds but its best to be aware these by double checking and compiling to the iphone every now and then. 

Stu_C

Definitely agree with Unc on performance testing on the iPhone.  You'll find its massively underpowered  compared to the PC and its easy to slip into - "wow looks ace on the PC - sure it'll look the same on the iPhone".

/Stu
www.ovine.net

MikeHart

I thinke no one mentioned this:

You can't use the simulator to test your app. You have to test in windows. But deploy very very early to find out what works on the iphone at what doesn't.

Gary

Thanks for all your replies. I think everything was covered there and playing with the demo version it seems perfect and a lot cheaper than unity :)

Its also refreshing to see such a welcoming and helpful forum for the newbie

Thanks
Gary

javiero

Is possible GLBASIC make a .IPA (like the new version of Adobe CS5)  ?

trucidare

no, adobe works with apple hand in hand. so i think adobe got a compiler to create ipa. Nothing that we or other private persons ever get.

(makes no sense hmm, damn english)
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

javiero

Ok, thanks traducidare ;)

Kitty Hello

javiero

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Oct-07
what is IPA?

a .EXE for iphone

EDIT: not, really not a.exe,  is like a install packet with all

codegit

Quote from: trucidare on 2009-Oct-06
no, adobe works with apple hand in hand. so i think adobe got a compiler to create ipa. Nothing that we or other private persons ever get.

(makes no sense hmm, damn english)

Surely this is against FAIR COMPETITION laws. If they give it to one company they (Apple) must release to everybody.  :puke:
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

trucidare

*.IPA = Installer Package
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

mykyl66

... in other words. ipa = zip file. :D

Finally bought GlBasic today. Still wish there was a way to edit something or other to test in the iphone simulator on my mac though.

Mike R