Compiling iPhod error

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnus

Hi Ian,

I probably will not be much help but I have recently gone through the same process (ie switching from PC to Mac, joining the dev programme, keychain, profiles, etc, etc) & I personally found it really frustrating. My approach was just to follow the apple videos & instructions step by step- there are some useful videos on youtube as well.

I found the build for distribution & submitting the binary to itunes most difficult.

Cheers, Shawn

Ian Price

I'll certainly give them a try now that I have my own proper account now.

Cheers. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Having followed numerous "help" links about how to get it all working (including Apple's own), I finally purchased a guide  that lead me through the whole process, step by step - including doing things I'd seen nowehere else. And it worked! I now have a fully operational app. on my iPod, created by me in GLBasic.

I would heartily recommend it to anyone struggling with Apple's POS development/distribution/provisioning software.

http://stuartmorrison.com/blog/iclue-app-code-signing-simplified/

It's £7.00, but it's worth it - I'd spent hours trying to get this damn thing to work before getting the guide. I went through the guide and it worked first time.

Thankyou to everyone, especially MrTaToad, for your assistance. Cheers chaps :)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Shows how tricky the whole process is if you need to buy a book in order to work out how to transfer and run a program on the machine...

Ian Price

It really is idiotic. Surely it should be -

Buy license
Download Dev certificate
Create your app
Distribute - either privately or via Appstore

At least it's sorted now. I know some of my problems were due to inexperience, but it really shouldn't be like it is.
I came. I saw. I played.

trucidare

Apple created a wizard for this problematic.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Ian Price

The wizard was anything but.... :(

The process shouldn't even need a wizard. It should just work, without the user being aware.
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

I was truly stunned by how difficult it was to get my first app on my test device. Both the number of steps involved and the initial complexity is very offputting.

Still, when the iDevice launches the first app, doesn't it feel exciting?  :)

MrTAToad

From the looks of it, Android is easier :)

Ian Price

QuoteStill, when the iDevice launches the first app, doesn't it feel exciting?  :)

I totally agree. My first simple app running on my iPod Touch was far more exciting, having gone through all the other crap and failing. Wiz, GP2X etc. were far less fun. They just worked first time. I just wish I hadn't needed to get that excitement ;)

It really is wrong that a tinpot company like GPH do a better job of getting your code actually running first time.
I came. I saw. I played.

shawnus

I found the code signing & distribution very difficult. I managed in the end but more by trying little tweaks to the process then by strictly following the apple process, which was slightly inaccurate.

I have to say I'm not particularly confident that I can build for distro again so I will probably purchase the above item if it describes a 'rock solid' and replicatable process.

Cheers, Shawn

Ian Price

Shawnus; PM me your email addy. :)
I came. I saw. I played.