iPad 3 Retina Support

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

That can been why. Newest Xcode auto use ipad retina, the older Xcode does not.

By now offscreen buffer should been the way and double up mouse cords. Here Performent should been fine since its a faster machine.

But nice to aware of it
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

Oh no. My app was rejected becaus of small buttons... It uses the retina display. How can I force it to use only 1024x768??? HELP!

AlienMenace

My game works fine at 768x1024 on iPad 3, fills the screen but I am using xcode 3.2.5. Maybe that's why it is working for me.
Apps published: 3

Hark0

Quote from: AlienMenace on 2012-Apr-25
My game works fine at 768x1024 on iPad 3, fills the screen but I am using xcode 3.2.5. Maybe that's why it is working for me.

mmmm I have last version of Xcode... how install OLD version?

@Dacarsoft.... X2 plist option for "double" image screen?
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

BigAnd

I have always rendered to an off screen buffer and then scale that to fit the target screen size. If you scale the "mouse" input appropriately this should allow you to run your game at 768x1024 but draw it at Retina size.

Kitty Hello

I think I fixed the retina thing for the iPad3, too. I'll see with my current review for GACK.
But the problem will soon strike us if more devices with different resolutions come. We get in the same situation as we are with Android then.

I think about implementing a prescale function like glScalef() for all opengl output. Somehting like ZSprite library.

spacefractal

Personly I prefer doing autoscaling by my self,  so you make sure the game would works as extended. Different Resolutions is own for issue, but a bigger issue is also pixel distiny as well differ screen ratios. So you cannot allways just do glScalingf() for anything.

Howover with iPad 3, if you not planning Retina graphics, you can use offscreen without issue and 2x (remember do with input as well). Normally you should allways avoid offscreen buffer, since its spike very much on performance as well battery. Also using offscreen buffer with same resolutions is a really bad idea as well, except if you using some effects of course, but make seance for x2 scaling here.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Qube

I think about implementing a prescale function like glScalef() for all opengl output.

So long as we have the option to use 1024x768 & 2048x1556 resolutions on the iPad 3rd gen. I'd certainly like to make sure the latest versions of my games are optimised for the iPad 3rd gen while still supporting the earlier models. It won't be a solution to simply scale down for older devices as that would be a huge memory hog.

Ideally we'll need to know / have.

1.. Know which device the app is running on (I know there are plugins on this forum but for many a simple command would be of benefit)
2.. Force use 1024x768 even on the iPad 3rd gen as not all games need to be "retina" (even though it will be scaled up)

Dark Schneider

Hi, I am very interested about this and if there is a way an universal app to show 2X on iPad Retina or we need to handle it manually.
This can be easily handled using OpenGL calls (the same than for rotating the screen) but if XCode do it by its own, it is not good to apply 2X twice, you know.

So someone has tested what happens using the lastest GLB and XCode (4.3) with the project confgured as 1024x768?

DaCarSoft

With latest version of Xcode and GLBasic (10.283) and settings for 1024x768 your app will run at full retina resolution without scaling, ignoring the 1024x768 settings...     It's to say: your app will take only 1/4 of the screen...

If you upscales 2x the graphics under GLBasic and correct your coordinates, you can use the full retina screen.

In future versions of GLBasic (11) you can set 1024x768 to let GLBasic do an autoscaling for you under iPad 3. It looks good, without blur ;)   Just like in iPad 1 and 2.  If you set 2048x1536 you can use the full retina screen normally.

"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

Kitty Hello

DaCarSoft - did you test the iPad3 screen resolution settings as well? Oh genius!!

Dark Schneider

OK thanks for quick response, I think I will make a general implementation for auto-adjust, best for future devices.

Can we disable filtering?, because for a 2X (integer zoom) we have no blurry image, only upscaled, but it will look exactly like on the iPad no Retina one  ;)

Maybe using OpenGL calls again, which filter GLB uses?, I need to know for later restore it.

Kitty Hello

Yes. Try SMOOTHSHADING FALSE.

spicypixel

Auto scaling would be awesome and would save the cpu cycles currently spent within GLB coding screen dump style scaling which kills the frame rate by half in most cases on non-pc hardware. All for it! :)
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

DaCarSoft

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Jun-19
DaCarSoft - did you test the iPad3 screen resolution settings as well? Oh genius!!

Yes!!! I was testing it by entering the retina resolutions by hand in the text box, to force the 2048x1536 resolution...

I have tested the 1024x768 resolution also under iPad 3, and it works fine, without blur effects or antialias...  It looks just like under iPad 2 or 1, like I told before...

I think that I told you in one of my emails sent to you :P
"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.