Future of Glbasic!

Previous topic - Next topic

Heiko

Now i´m a little bit confused.
I couldn´t read anything from gernot with infos about v16 or a planned steam version.

I could be wrong....what happens really in the next time.
Is there a roadmap?

spacefractal

Because its not officieal roadmap yet. But its me that helping Gernot to get Glbasic released on steam, and its being a newer version as the current version. Im do cant say more about it right now as im wrote in the previous post.

Then we also just looking to to get Android working again with Android Studio with minimal feature (its often me that update that platform, most extra Java features was by me). The stuck Android SDK glbasic is currectly been used cant no longer been used at all! Android Studio is a very hefty download, but is not bigger than example Xcode is, which is also quite hefty too.

A port to iOS would also been pretty much easy to port again, due that with the source code to been clued to one piece. Etc as long Apple dosent remove OpenGL compeltly. But im do currectly does not have a Mac or a dev account throught.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Heiko

Okay now i understand.
For me windows target is all what i need.

Since google allow only high quality apps in the store i think not so much user need that target.But thats only my opinion.
But i´m happy that a new glb is on the way.

Every information is a good information.(maybe you can say more about it -> features, ogl version etc.)
So i´ll wait for it.

spacefractal

The main issue with currectly android is glbasic to Android only support Android 5 api, but a newer Android versions is required to been supported for Google Play since some months ago. This is impossible because the standalone SDK glbaisc is using is more or less depreacted and updates no longer works using the SDK manager. With oither word: Android Studio is required now, so we need to move the whole project to Android Studio and then compile from here.

Howover im do stopped doing android stuff because im got tired with all the constactly updates to Android and same happens with iOS with Apple. But howover now the Glbasic is comming soong to Steam, then im would look into that again when im got the clued source code from Gernot. Hopefully im can remove all standalone sld libraries as well. that is also a issue too. This due google also require 64bit support next year..... So no point for me to improve the current Android SDK or support it at all.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Heiko

In my opinion a working system with not all targets( yes Android i mean) wich is up2date is better because anyone must do the work for bugfixung, updates and so on.
For Android there are so many solutions in the web.
And as you say there are often updates....
And you know that google changed the rules. And so the most projects don´t go into the play store.

Maybe we should make a poll about what compiling targets the users would have.

I dreamin often a glb-like language with dx11/12 comes true...but that are dreams.

spacefractal

its not that case.

The rules have been changed so you require to update your app to a newer android versions, etc require your app to meet api-26 (Android 8.0) standard. The stuck SDK glbasic is currectly using is to stuck by only can use api-23 (Android 6.0). the newer api require a move to Android Studio (etc glbasic should create a Android Studio project and compile from here, just as its did with iOS and xCode). Hopefully its we got it working before Glbasic is released on steam.

When first moved to Android Studio, the future changes should been quite easier.

Many people here do want to compile to Android. Etc most people seens to want to have extractly Windows and Android. So those platforms come first.

MrPlow

Good stuff!
Looking forward to being able to compile for Android again :)
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Me too, I also wish to see the steam GLB page prior to release, maybe we can help with some bits.

spacefractal

should been happens very soon. its when Gernot pressing on the "Post as Coming Soon" button (im have no rights to extractly do that). Its all required. Its required to been visable prior to release a least 2 weeks.

We do need to update some of the banners throught, but its subtitle. its just to clean it up.

spacefractal

Heiko

It happens in reality ;)
I hope in the next days i can find some information about the "update".(compiler/opengl version and so on)

And glb owner get a steam key? Because my registered mail adress no longer exist.

spacefractal

mine email does also no longer exists and still working today as licens. The license on steam glbasic is different. Im do guess Gernot would send out glbasic steam keys for those who want it (here im can do nothing, since im cant request steam keys). All you required is simply just register it on Steam directly, and then you redeem it. You dosent need to register the old one it in the editor at all: The license is tied to Steam API. Extractly as im wanted and working as intended.

Currectly we trying to get sld2 source code working with Android Studio for Android, but have some issues to get it compiled. this is clearly the best way to do that to avoid using precompiled sld, so updating etc would been much easier. The another issue due this is 64bit requirements in the next year. 64bit glbasic is allready working (fixed since iOS 64).

Currectly its Windows 32 and 64bit only on steam, but hopefully adding Android before 4 Jan. So Windows & Android is first serviced. Those are the most important platforms me thinks. But portering should also been easier by using the clued single c++ source code.

Heiko

You misunderstood me.
The steam version of steam is sure not cost free.If Gernot send steam keys to the user wich owned glbasic i thought that he  use the mails from the lics to send the keys.You understand.

I have no steam account atm, i have to register me.

spacefractal

You should just contact him to make sure he have the updated email adress. Im did newer do that my self throught, since its still works. But can change a bit for registred glbasic users that want a steam key for glbasic.

PS. Gernot can request steam keys for free, so there is no extra cost. He can even sell them on the site as well, give away for allready registred user and so on.

Heiko

Okay thank you.
I do that in future.
But on first i will take a look whats new in the steam release.