Wav good by to (ISMUSCIPLAYING) problem.

Previous topic - Next topic

spudgunjake

I have found by resampling my Wav files, down from 32bit to 24bit, 16bit, 8bit rates  that ISMUSCIPLAYING cuts the end off, and its get worse  further down you go.

Lets say I have a 3 seconds sample at 32bit, its plays fine, but as I decrease the bit from 32 to 24,16 and then 8 the (PLAY) length gets shorter, in other words, 3 seconds sample at 24bit plays only plays 2.8 seconds of the complete 3 seconds length, then 2.6, 2.4 seconds and so on as the sample is converted down to a lower bit. If I was saying in  my sample "mary had a little lamb" I would get some thing like "mary had a little la"  These are rough timings by the way. but you get the point.

I had problem for some time and couldn't understand why it just appeared out of knowhere, may be at some point I resampled my mp3's down to a lower bit rate and converted them into Wav file, then decreasing the bit from 32 to 24 to save space. (May Be.)

I am still looking into why this is, I read somewhere by kitty the sound engine is SDL LIB, but cant find anything on the SDL web site in relation to this problem.

I hope Kitty reads this and hope it may shed some light on some of the problems other people are have or have had in the past with Wav, Mp3 and other media types.

best reagards john.

Hemlos

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling its your sound editor cutting off the time.
This result will be due to reducing the amount of information(bit) in the file.
If you have windows, check the play time with sndrec after you compress each time.

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

On windows? Can you attach such a sample, that's too short?

spudgunjake

What I have found out is that anything under  8 bit, 22000hz, ISMUSICPLAYING Doesn't like.

My be am making a fuss regarding space, but the I like to keep the App as small as possible.

One thing is, ITunes Both Mac, and Windows play fine. Windows Media plays fine. But VLC clips the end, I wounded if VLC uses the same Lib as
ISMUSCIPLAYING.

The Problem is with ISMUSCIPLAYING function.

spudgunjake

It does look like VLC does use SDL for its sound support or at least part of it and the problems may be part of SDL Lib., Just a thought.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <SDL/SDL_mutex.h>