Some mystery I still don't figure out.

Previous topic - Next topic

Youkaisan

I'm a happy registered user since GLB V8 and now the V11 is coming, however for such a long time there're some question I want to know, so I type it down....

1. What's the backbone API of GLB? It seems Android port uses SDL, but Win32 port isn't (for example, audio format support etc).

2. How do I remove unused platfrom compiler to save spaces? (What folder/file to remove etc). Will it cause update error.

fuzzy70

I'm not 100% sure on point one, I believe GLB uses Directx7/8 for Windows input & sound judging by the libraries in the compiler folder & OpenGL/GLES etc for graphics depending on platform. SDL I think is just used for audio on all platforms except Windows but someone with more knowledge will be able to answer that more correctly.

With regards to your second point all I do is use 7zip on the folders of the platforms I do not have or use & done it with the latest beta for the same reason as you stated, to save some space. So if you look in the compiler/platform library & just zip the entire folder for the platform/s you don't use you can just unzip them again if it causes any problems with updates & the original files not being there. I 7zipped the cannoo/wiz/wince etc folders as I do not have any of those platforms so they was just sitting there taking up space.

Safer to zip the folders rather than delete them in case it does cause problems with updates as otherwise you would have to re-install GLB again to get the files back then update after.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Marmor

Save spaces  in times with 500 gb hdd ? :nana:

SnooPI

on Win32:
directsound (for sound, music, ...) and directinput (keyboard, joystick, ...)
opengl (for 2d, 3d, ...)

on Mobile:
sdl 
opngles

and apparently for the sound on mobile (in the futur or now?) OpenSLES (an hardware-accelerated audio API)
Perhaps for a futur 3d sound system !?? =D =D =D

kanonet

I think Gernot said that he is switching to SDL2 on all platform, but just AFAIR, not sure 100%. BTW saving space makes totally sence, especially if you use an SSD.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

SnooPI

Quote from: kanonet on 2013-Nov-07
I think Gernot said that he is switching to SDL2 on all platform, but just AFAIR, not sure 100%.

sdl2 on android (with GLB v11 and v12)

but the most interesting with v12 on android is the use (apparently in the futur) of OpenSLES, an hardware-accelerated audio API with 3d support  :good:

fuzzy70

Quote from: Marmor on 2013-Nov-06
Save spaces  in times with 500 gb hdd ? :nana:

I seriously don't know anyone with a 500GB HD in one partition as a system drive in Windows unless they have a lot of AAA games installed. My main drive is a 500GB one but I have partitioned the Windows drive to 200GB & even with all my apps installed, and there is some massive bloat apps like the adobe ones along with my music sequencer with plugins & 3D rendering apps, I still have 50GB free. Practically all data like pictures/sound files etc & even the GLB samples/projects I create are stored on the other partition.

NTFS is not the most efficient of file systems & unless you have an SSD fragmentation can & does become an issue, so the more files you have on your system drive the longer defragging takes.

By zipping up the platforms that I don't use I have saved nearly 1GB of disk space & quite a few thousand files. The HTML5 folder is the biggest one & something I personally do not have any interest in at the present time.

As far as wasted space goes Adobe wins that award as ran a duplicate file check (against name/size/crc32 just in the Program Files/Adobe) & discovered nearly 3000 total duplicates. Some of them were presets that After Effects/Premier/Media Encoder use which makes you wonder why Adobe bother using the Common Files & Program Data directory's when these are clearly common files shared across their own products. I wouldn't be surprised if the same files are in them directory's as well  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Youkaisan

Hi,

I have a 256GB SSD , the system partition is 100GB, in common sense, GLB isn't that big compared to the disk size, but reducing files count makes sense on SSD.

If I want to just "store" things , I have a 2TBx8 RAID array which is currently pertty enough for many things...

fuzzy70

As you can see from the attached pic Android & the Javascript folder are the 2 biggest in regards to amount of files & the space they take up. AFAIK the Javascript folder is only used for HTML5 as I have compiled some apps for Android without that folder on my system & had no errors or problems.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."