Castlevania on zx spectrum

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

You might now already but finally FINALLY Sanchez released a Castlevania game for the zx spectrum 128.
It was supposed to be a version but it turned out to be a complete game.
Music is by the awesome Darkman007.

The game is really great, you guys should check it out.
http://spectralinterlude.com/

mentalthink

Jejej, yes Erico just Y played a bit and it's really cool, in Spectrum appears each title with a lot of quality like this, the only problem of the game or the machine it's the Color Clash, the strange effect mixing colors in the Sprites.

The game had a lot of good critics in the Retro-World, but the people said it's a bit difficult.

Really it's awesome show this kind of games into this "little" machine.

Ian Price

It really is astonishing what can be achieved on machines such as the Spectrum, C64, CPC and other dead hardware nowadays. This truly is an amazing feat of coding.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I like the all the color crashes, they gave personality to computers at a time they were striking to be able to have  colors.
I´m playing it on hard. There were more difficult games at the spectrum age, people are probably sizzy when it comes to game difficulty nowadays :P

It gives a god like sensation when playing it on emulators where you don´t have to go through the 18 minutes tape loading and can save states.
Still, playing as close as for real as it was should be an unique experience! Does anyone have a working set?

spacefractal

For me it's seen there have been no effect to avoid color clash at all on the sprites which for me is a downside and can been hard to see the sprites. That is property due im was a big c64 fan, which don't have that issue.

However Games like Myth is a good example how a game with same style of game play could do to avoid most of color clash....

But music is very great, but a bit too much graphics really. But good effoct through.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

I played too much if death wish 3, jack the nipper coconut capers, batman, alien o the msx (which I believe had ports from spectrum).
I kind of see color clash as a gfx filter (like the first shaders), me loves it. :)

mentalthink

The very good point of Spectrum looking today it's the games are a bit more quick than in CPC, CPC when  you are a kid attracts becuase all the nice colors you can see in the screen, but in mode "Old" I love the playability of the games in the ZX, and it's awesome only in 48 Kb of the Speecy (48-12Kb=36 free  ( I think) for the Basic and Firmware).

bigsofty

Very well done, these guys could have made some serious cash back in the day.  :nw:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

in Coconut Capers, the programmer have been aware of avoid color clash, and avoid as much as possible. So here the sprites is pretty much very clean. Im even thinks the Spectrum versions is better than C64 version in this one for playability wise.

In Castlevania Spectrum, im do thinks the backgrounds did take a little to much focus (if you ask me), which muddy the sprites, so color clash is very much very exstreme. Im do thinks its due im as previous wrote was a C65 guy.

Im havent tried the game yet, but the music is otherwice very cool and scrolling system is also very decent, a well designed around the spectrum limits about that scrolling.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Yep, from that optic I think you are correct, the first versions had a more clean background in order to preserve the sprites against the clash. This final version, has a much richier background and a lot of clash against sprites. Plays wornderfuly by the way. :good:

Ian Price

If you think CastleVania is impressive on the Speccy (and I certainly do), then lookee here - http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/02/dragons-lair-appears-on-sinclair-zx81.html

The laser disc arcade game, Dragon's Lair on a ZX81! Mind blown.
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Jaja I think the next machine I will buy will be  another ZX spectrum, can do anything... XD XD...

About this game , I'm not sure if it's working like a program did a friend of mine in a retro forum... with a SD card read a movie in real time playing with the Spectrum, really it's awesome the people done with this machine... In example a net game with a tanks war, joined through a Raspberry PI with a boar for connect Sinclair's computers to internet ... the device it's called Spectranet.

Now the Scene it's doing very interesting things, yesterday I look a new device, the Amstrad 6128-2015 but in a new format, I hope don't be too much expensive, I like to buy one!!!  =D =D

Ian Price

Yeah, I'm sure there's more going on here than meets the eye, but even if it's just FMV it's still more than the ZX81 was ever designed to do (or even thought capable of).
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

when talking about FMV, C64 can do that too, fullscreen, full colors, named "Crest - BluREU" (but using a 16mb ram Expansion). After some searching, there is a alpha project of Laserdisc Dragon Lair as well, based on the same code: http://dragonslair64.areaaperta.com/dl64/dl64-fmv-download

On the spectrum version, its uses a sdcard reader for streaming the movie here. Is such a devices emulated for checking that game out?

The best 8-bit port must been the Gameboy Color version, which is well made.

Marmor

where is a glb version  :D