ascii shooter

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

If we were still to be running COCOs to these days and no new computer...
I probably would be doing things like this.

For me it´s the best thing I have seen for a while...

http://indiegames.com/2011/11/freeware_game_pick_altcode_fra.html#more

Ruidesco

Cool!
I remember playing an (obviously simpler and monochrome) ASCII space shooter waaaaay back in a 286.

matchy

Although looks good, although there's alot of simulated ascii and pixel art lately that wouldn't fool the demo scene.

Mixing character and colored blocks doesn't look that good actually. In fact I see a lot of flying 8====) if you know what I mean (at least I'm sure the others will point that out, pardon the pun).

Ah erico, the Coco is still alive so why not try and code something on it? (
Semi-graphics mode is the way to do fast Ascii on the Coco, even today so there's no reason to compare it to other systems.

Hatonastick

Heh, nicely done although I could never play it.  Find it too confusing looking at that movie.  If it had been done by me I'd have limited the colour selection to make things a little more obvious, as it it it's way too busy for my old eyes.  My first action game attempt (my first game attempt was a really badly done text adventure :)) on the old Amstrad CPC was a really, really, really basic shoot-em-up using ASCII.  Wow, I'd forgotten all about it until now.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

erico

Quote from: matchy on 2011-Nov-22
Although looks good, although there's alot of simulated ascii and pixel art lately that wouldn't fool the demo scene.

Agree, but it has a charm, I´m particularly found of this one here too:
http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/Shoot_em_ASCII

I was at the top score, but got hacked a long time ago.

erico

Quote from: matchy on 2011-Nov-22
Ah erico, the Coco is still alive so why not try and code something on it? (
Semi-graphics mode is the way to do fast Ascii on the Coco, even today so there's no reason to compare it to other systems.

I guess my mind would fry in confusion if I attempt doing 2 codes at the same time.
Must first finish the first full glbasic game ;)