Snake Slider, my coolest game :)

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

Snake Slider has had another update. The last update was v1.1 in august which added 25 puzzles with pushable blocks. And this most recent update v1.2 adds 25 puzzles with keys and locks.

It now has 100 puzzles :enc:

spicypixel

Looks very cool, and nice to just look at the screens and deduce the puzzles from the screenshots. Hope it sells well for you on the various stores ;)
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Kitty Hello

BdR

Both Snake Slider and Snake Slider Lite for iPhone/iPod were updated today adding "retina" support (high resolution). The apps support 320x480 and 640x960 resolution, so the graphics look sharper on newer devices and also still run on older devices, see attachment.

Also, the game now supports multiple languages; English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Hungarian, Polish are available in the options screen (at first startup, it will initially set the language based on the iOS language). Thanks to Albert, felix330, spacefractal, gigios, Mikele and others here on the glbasic forum for translating the texts. :nw: thank you! The multi-language update for WebOS will also follow soon, it's pending approval.

[attachment deleted by admin]

spacefractal

its look super sharp. I much prefer using Retina resolution on ipad too, so if you could just center the screen on that, then its would been very cool (if not iPad does that automatic with retina screens). I testing that soon when its released on iPad.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

BdR

I assumed all iPhone/iPod apps can also run on an iPad.. I don't have an iPad but one time I've seen the previous version of Snake Slider Lite run on it. It was centered and you could press a "2x" button to make it full screen (centered with black bars around it). The lo-res graphics looked very blocky on the bigger iPad screen though, so I assume it now looks much better with the hi-res graphics. :)

spacefractal

just tested it, its seen its just use 480x320, but I just used iOS4.x and ib iOS5.x

You should do a real 768x1024 support, but of course using directly the Retina graphics. I think you can just use VIEWPORT command to center the screen, since all X and Y cordinates would been moved to the corner of that, so you virtually still use 960x480. So I think its should been a pretty easy fix. Its the best you can do and would play very nice that way.

With that in say I would not mind the border at all, due this type of game.

PS. There is a few errors in the danish which I have not noticed (one is on that screen), even I looked throught twice. All spotted spelling is quite minor, so nothing problem. But can you give me the dk language file you have used in the game? I happy to update that, when you a day release a v1.4 or a v1.3.2.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

BdR

Thanks for the ipad screenshot spacefractal. It looks like my assumption was wrong... :( As it turns out, the iPad compatibility mode for iPhone apps doesn't support high resolution. Apple could add it relatively easily, for example there's a "RetinaPad" hack available for Cydia. But apparently Apple thought "screw that, we're too busy counting our money" :rant: this sucks..

Oh, and as for the errors in the Danish translation.. You can just update the text in the google spread-sheet and send me a privatemessage when you're done. :)

spacefractal

updated with bold (so you can see what I updated). PM was not required since its no secret, hehe.

I guess to fix the problem is doing what I said in the previous post, abusing using VIEWPORT command and then eventuelly add a little border (if you not have 4:3 images of it). The game, even with the border does play completly fine (this due genre of the game, so you wont have misplaced UI and such thing).

EDIT: Rapids Rider does also use Retina resoulution with borders, so I do think he using extractly same trick and/or you have setup xcode not support iPad.

PS. I do see why Apple won't have Retina support on iPad here. Then its would been turn to the same issue v2.x Android tables have because many apps is not designed to tables but to phones, and then the UI and interface would just been unusual bigger. I think Apple trying to avoid that.

spacefractal

The recent posts here is also got removed (due backup of course). The lastest AppStore version did not work with full resoulution on iPad (still using 480x320), but the lastet Beta I got today does, since I dedicated to help to resolve the iPad issues (Light version here, but here I don't care on test like this).

So the next update will finally support iPad....

[attachment deleted by admin]

BdR

Snake Slider was updated today, it now officially supports iPad (thanks to spacefractal for testing :good:) and has a new Orange puzzle set. The new Orange puzzle set contains 25 extra hard puzzles which use all of the previous elements. Also, the French translation was added.

Kitty Hello

How do you design these puzzles? I'm still stuck in basket #2. It's really a brain twister.

BdR

I've designed all puzzles by hand using the build-in editor. I usually start by just drawing a wall-layout and snakes and then just try to solve it and the best solution is automatically stored as "goal" moves (the 3-coin-solution).

Designing good puzzles was actually a lot more work than I thought at first. :doubt: I would spend a couple of hours creating about 10 puzzles, and usually there would be only 2 or 3 really good ones that were useful. Most of the time the puzzle will be too easy at first (for example, solvable in only two steps). Then I would try to add a wall, or give the snakes a different starting layout/position, or add elements like apples or blocks. On the other hand, if a puzzle is unsolvable I remove things one by one.

Btw friends and colleagues sometimes suggest to build some sort of auto-solution-finding function, which is much easier said then done. Besides, even if I could program it this would a) take quite a lot of time for me and b) won't lead to better puzzle design, so I don't really see the point.

Anyway, on which puzzle in basket #2 are you stuck? Maybe I can give a hint.. :)

spacefractal

I just downloaded the full version and now I think you forgoet to change it for full version as well?

Graphics set to iphone again.

Just kidding, all working as well here with full iPad graphics :-D. Hope you got it working on TouchPad soon.

There is really one pity thing: There should been some sort of kinits scroll for selecting levels. I guess its mostly due because my game use similar menu scrollbar, but using kinits scrolling as well. So not a error really :-D.

BdR

Snake Slider was updated yesterday. The update adds a Portuguese translation, improved white font, a big rate-this-game button and several puzzles were optimized and have fewer goal steps.

The rate-this-game button is now in plain sight on the level select screen, and I really hope it will get me more user reviews.
Quote from: spacefractal on 2012-Feb-17
There is really one pity thing: There should been some sort of kinits scroll for selecting levels. I guess its mostly due because my game use similar menu scrollbar, but using kinits scrolling as well. So not a error really :-D.
I think you mean kinetic scrolling aka inertia scrolling. Yeah, I got the same remark from friends and colleagues. I will look in to it, but I'd have to reprogram it because I can't make use of the existing iOS widgets/controls.