iPhone OS 4.0: New License closing doors to GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hark0

Hi!

New iPhone Developer Program License Agreement:

FULL at: https://developer.apple.com/iphone/updateAgreement.action (need Developer member).

I paste this point:

"3.3.1 Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited). "

And now?

GLBasic development for iphone can be rejected from Apple?

hmmm

:o

Hark0

[edit]
Official statement:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=4400.msg32882#msg32882
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Ozden79

GLBasic compiles in C/C++ under the hood, which means your codes are actually converted to C/C++ syntax when you start compiling, I don't think this will be any problem...

bigsofty

This is Apples response to Adobe announcing that they will allow flash developers to develop flash iPhone apps on the PC. Using a compatibility layer on the iPhone to execute the flash apps, a bit like a JIT compiler for flash. This is just a sneaky way for Adobe to get flash on the iPhone.
Apple is stopping that.

Glbasic does not use any method between the generated C code and the documented API's to execute the code.

I think GLB will be fine.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hark0

Hmmm...

Are files in Xcode/GLBasic/Lib legally?

- libGLBasiciPhone-egl.a
- libpng-gf.a
- libPROGRAM.a

O_O
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Hark0

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Apr-09
This is Apples response to Adobe announcing that they will allow flash developers to develop flash iPhone apps on the PC. Using a compatibility layer on the iPhone to execute the flash apps, a bit like a JIT compiler for flash. This is just a sneaky way for Adobe to get flash on the iPhone.
Apple is stopping that.

Glbasic does not use any method between the generated C code and the documented API's to execute the code, it links directly via XCode on a Mac.

I think GLB will be fine.

Let's hope that god listens to you...  :P

Kitty Hello

GLBasic uses the most safe way available to make iPhone apps.
You just compile a C++ program on your mac. Instead of giving you the full source for the glbasic engine, you get a precompiled libGLBasic.a - perfectly safe!

Hark0

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Apr-09
You just compile a C++ program on your mac. Instead of giving you the full source for the glbasic engine, you get a precompiled libGLBasic.a - perfectly safe!

COOL!!!!

:good:

bigsofty

Also remember these are Beta terms, they are subject ot change. If you are not clear about their meaning, then let Apple know...

Contact here...

http://developer.apple.com/contact
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hark0

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Apr-09
Also remember these are Beta terms, they are subject ot change. If you are not clear about their meaning, then let Apple know...

Contact here...

http://developer.apple.com/contact

I prefer not waking any monster up...  =D

MikeHart

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Apr-09

You might think that it is safe by the way you try to cover it. But the term "Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++" states the facts clearly. Any GLBasic app is only particially written in OBJ-C,C or C++. The static libs you provide. The user writes it in BASIC. Any cross compiler and translator will be violating this license. Be it Corona SDK, Unity3D, ITorque or whatever. You just can hope that Apple won't enforce its license and let it go by. Or that they change it again. And the current change is not only affecting the OS4. I just had to agree to the license on the developer portal again to be able to create new certificates after the 20th of april.

Ozden79

I've been following monotouch forums about this and people are confused a lot as well. It seems that Adobe's action on creating their compiler and even some further things such as code signing in Windows environment pissed off Apple a lot. I still think that we are not in a bad condition, at worst, we'll get the libs in source code form and compile right inside the XCode, that's all. 

MikeHart

I just emailed to Apple to see what their official word on this is.

QuoteI still think that we are not in a bad condition, at worst, we'll get the libs in source code form and compile right inside the XCode, that's all.

But it is still not originally written in their languages. That's the point.

Ozden79

Quote from: MikeHart on 2010-Apr-09

QuoteI still think that we are not in a bad condition, at worst, we'll get the libs in source code form and compile right inside the XCode, that's all.

But it is still not originally written in their languages. That's the point.

The thing in here is that C/C++ is mentioned as one of the official languages and GLBasic libraries are C/C++ codes and at the end, you compile a C/C++ code in XCode to run on IPhone. There can't be any evidence whether you pushed a MAC keyboard while writing these codes or not, am I wrong? It might be only that instead of separate libs, we might need to compile all GLBasic IPhone specific code into our executables.

In any other case, I think nobody can use even any framework (box2D, etc. just an example might not be the correct one) in source form as it might be written in Windows and the sources merged in a MAC with a real application.

jaywat

You don't think that any clarification should have been left to Kitty to get on behalf of all concerned parties? I'm sure it would have been very much in his interest to get us a swift and definitive answer.

Btw, chaps, if you're interpreting Apple's T&C's to the letter, then every one of you discussing this in a public forum will surely lose your Apple Developers License and it'll no longer be a concern for you anyway? No, I don't really think this will happen. And I don't think Apple will block GLB, Unity, Torque, GameSalad et al in one fell swoop. But I also don't think you should specifically poke the bear.

MikeHart

Quote from: jaywat on 2010-Apr-09

You don't think that any clarification should have been left to Kitty to get on behalf of all concerned parties? I'm sure it would have been very much in his interest to get us a swift and definitive answer.

Btw, chaps, if you're interpreting Apple's T&C's to the letter, then every one of you discussing this in a public forum will surely lose your Apple Developers License and it'll no longer be a concern for you anyway? No, I don't really think this will happen. And I don't think Apple will block GLB, Unity, Torque, GameSalad et al in one fell swoop. But I also don't think you should specifically poke the bear.

Dont worry. I didnt mention glb a bit. It is not my iphone tool of choice anyway. But as someone who is interested in develop legally for that platform, i would certain need a clarification on this subject from apple.

Btw. The nda about discussing the content of the sdk in public was lifted by apple a while ago. :)