OUYA SDK

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hi I found this, the SDK for the UOYA, ODK....

I think this can be a very good console, at the begin not too much people speak well about the money and this things... but the final price not it's too much expensive, 96€ in Europe, and don't make the same than apple 1$=1€...

I'm not sure but I think GLBasic can make games for this console whitout Gernnot Touch Nothing... I take a quick look the Docs, and tells about the last android version... Perhaps something whit resolutions, or something specific in the console have to be translated to C++

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers

I'm not sure but this market equal than microsoft, perhaps can be a very nice place for us, and more easy for depevelop, don't have to go whit care about memory, texture size and so on... but 96€ I think not it's too much expensive... the license I'm not sure about the price...

Kitty Hello

Uhm. That is android. It should work if you link their libs.

erico

gud! :good:

Did anyone on here got to a dev console version of it to give a try? :whistle:

mentalthink

Hi Erico I'm thinking in buy it, but for now... only an do a pre-order... seems the consoleas are in contruction...

I'm not sure 100% this Console works like an choose between Xbox860 and PS4, it's a different market, and anothe kind of games.. but perhpas don't leave anotherbig companies to work freely...

The good thing are only 99E, not it's too much , but fot have to leave witout use...  :'(

erico

oh well, gasp, cogh,  ;/ I´m not an ouya believer myself, got my reasons on that.
But I really wonder/curious how GLB can score on that.

It seems lots of people think it could be cool, so, would be nice if GLB works out without herculean work.

I know nothing of low code and how GLB deals that but just recently discovered android has a linux/unix variation under it :-[
So, my guess is that support to things that are actually running linux somehow would not be too hard?

It is hard to give self opinions on that subject, there are a few more platforms out, win8, gcw, ouyeah, and others less known.

One german forum post discussed if GLB should strive to perfect the current supports instead of new ones.
Really hard to say as it seems every current supported platform that gets updated from its owners gives us trouble to fix things up, sounds like a never ending work to keep up. [praise GLB team here for the great efforts and achivements]

It may be not much to 99% of people around here, but I´m really glad GLB supports the caanoo, it is an almost unknown platform, raises no money, and it is probably not going to last long on the future...but I just bought it because GLB can do on it. :)

New platforms are really a tough subject.

Wampus

It would be great to see what it takes to get GLB apps working with the OUYA SDK. If a OUYA really costs as little as the makers are suggesting then  :good:

AFAIK a rooted OUYA can install and use the Google Play Store - it can run standard Android apps. Rooting does not void the warranty. So, you can use your favorite stuff on it as well as stream your music or whatever you want via your home network or external hard drive. It could be used as an all-purpose media center as much as a games console.

I don't know how much of a success it will be with ordinary consumers, though it clearly has geek appeal to techies.

erico

Agree, but if GLB works with their sdk, then it is a great dev kit to use on it. :)
Should bring more followers.

spacefractal

Glbasic only uses sdk 2.2, so sadly its cannot work with glbasic, until Gernot do a SDK upgrade to sdk 4.1.

That why I want to see the possible to upgrade SDK, named as a "Jelly Bean" as a new platform.

When compiling for that SDK works for a regular tablet (etc HP Touchpad with installed Jelly Bean), then Im pretty sure rest of the UOYA support would been pretty easy by doing some changes to java activity as well using the java communication system I created for the past. Here I would look on that when possible (even I dont have the console, buts its looks awesome).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

2.2 applications do work on 4.1 though...

spacefractal

Yes, its might support it allready, but those applications cannot been fully supported (me thinks property the touchpad function, some game buttons, drm, inapp purchase and some UI thing, but thoses a only shoots).

So its still best to uses a newer SDK than the "outdated" v2.2. Howover I dont want to see v2.2 removed of course (its works nicely), but just added as a new platform named "Jelly Bean".

When that SDK works correctly on normal android device (not UOAY), then rest would been pretty easy.

This is also make sure the modifications required to java activity file dont breaks SDK v2.2 for those which just use "Jelly Bean" for UOYA.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

Sdk version is a setting in your manifest.xml.

spacefractal

but only android-8 is installed in the glbasic platform folder.... its not just setting targetnumber to a higher number. howover its would been nice is a another sdk could been used, such of android-15 in the sdk directly.

also its would been nice to possible to NOT copy the templateproj folder when compiling, because the UOYA would require its own android profile, because its require a lots of changes to supports its controller in SDLActivity.java (due game controller support as well inapp purchases, which is required here, since all titles require "free to play" style.

Jonás Perusquía

the name is OUYA please fix title xD
<HTML><BASIC><EC>
Be free and do good things

erico

Oh Yeah! fix it! :D :D

spacefractal

oops :-D.

Also these days I looking how I can turn my Greedy Mouse game into a freemium model rather than premium only game. When its turns to the required freemium, then its could been cool porting to this console. The only minus is the game free content mightbeen bigger than I orignally want, but that it when its freemium rather than light.