HDD crash.

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

OK. I got most of the old stuff reimplemented. It compiles, release :D. Seriously, it will take some time to test it all now.
Dacarsoft has fixed the iCade issues and the orientation of the taskbar!

My changes at GACK are all gone. That was a lot :(

I keep you updated.

erico

Good to hear.

Sorry for GACK :(

It is horrible to lose stuff that way, I once lost a jazz disk drive (anyone remembers that?) full of personal animations...I miss it to these days.

On another hand, I´m not sure this is a bug but I seem not to be able to get button 0(A) on the caanoo as of the latest update on GLB.
It worked before, but now when I run a test program it returns no value as if it dosen´t exist.

spacefractal

I'm are not sure you changed that way assests load in the Android, but you can eventuelly use that changes I did. Here they load in a thread. Its could still been better (etc first file should load splash.png example), but the app does not crash under copying:

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=7949.msg67252#msg67252

Also I hope the surface could refixed, but bad to hear about GACK.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

theprotocol

Oh no. I'm not much of a forum-goer so I missed this. This sucks. :(

Hatonastick

Wow...  Sorry to hear that mate.  I've been getting paranoid about backups myself and so bought a 1tb external HD so now I have my work on my desktop PC, Netbook, memory stick and external HD -- I used to backup to DVD as well, but decided that was going a little bit overboard.  I suspect we all have to go through something bad like this before learning how vital backups are.  I had something similar happen to me roughly 10 years ago where I lost almost 2 years worth of C code.  I've been paranoid about backups ever since.

Anyway, I'm really, really sorry to hear this.  I hope it wont dishearten you too much, and I'm pretty sure all the folks on here will be cheering you on as you fight back.

Erico:  I remember those.  I've got a Iomega USB ZIP 250 (I think it was) in a box somewhere with a few "disks".  They were cool little devices -- mind you the originals weren't that "little". :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

mrplant

Really sad to hear this.

Its  a bit late now I think but I thought I would add that noone has so far mentioned the great hard drive recovery utility from Steve Gibson over at grc.com - SPINRITE!.
Its not free but saved me many a drive over the years...

It's a preventative program as well - but comes into its own when hardware failure is close - there isn't a low level program like it on the market..

For backups, I used carbonite back up for a few weeks - until I realised it wasn't developer friendly at all - didn't support file extensions for backup unless they were in a special list and it ignores .exe and .zip files - totally developer unfriendly  - so I left them.

Nowadays, I use dropbox to send copies to another location (my brother in laws house). We share files needing backed up that way - works great.

That an onsite image backup as well..

Anyway, hope you get most of your data back - been there myself - horrible...

erico

heck, spending a week down my parents place, I was using their pc to do work and didn´t notice it assigned a temporary user.
So, after a crash, it came back and deleted all my days work, how marvelous! :rant:

I used recuva to try and get the jpg images back, but most of them don´t quite open, just 3 out of 40.
crap... :(

Schranz0r

Unlucky as my Giana Sisters Remake...
Sad moments in a coders life :(
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

MrTAToad

You lost the code for it ?

I did for the Amiga version of my Walker and car game too...  Not to mention C64 code lost...

Fortunately my Archimedes code was made PD as is available to download easily...

erico

Hey I just got back my work lost yeaterday!

by redoing...sucks, treating images of shoes is of course no fun at all redoing.
It ended up even the 3 were no even the right ones.

Now I lost a couple days work, and won´t get payed for that.
I have to hate whatever system puts you over the root, ridiculous, how could it delete it without asking me first?

It must be the reason I don´t own an android yet.

My way of going I must know where exactly my files are on the drives and when and how.
This mainly happened by using the desktop on windows, never to do it again.

My home base comp I don´t even use the desktop but for shortcuts to proper locations.

I almost broke things yesterday by rage, I better stop doing shoes images before it gets worse :-[