1x1 Frogs

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

This is a game to train your multiplication skills. It's designed for iPhone/Palm Pre/Android. I also made a 4 player version for the iPad. (1-4 players, optionally a computer opponent of variable skill).

The aim is to be the first one at the end of the pond. Just tap the lily that represents the result of the multiplication above.

I think I need to tweak the sounds a bit and maybe add some boring background music. What do you think? Is it worth a buck?

Attached: Win32 test game.

I might need a hand with:
-improvement ideas (or obvious bugs/obstacles)
-descriptive introduction text
-keywords

[attachment deleted by admin]

MrTAToad

It could sell quite well.

Quite good fun, and runs well.

Ian Price

Looks cool :)

Will have a looksee.

I'm pretty sure that it's worth more than a buck. I can't believe the high value of a buck nowadays when considering software. Used to be we'd spend much more than that without thinking and if it was crap, we'd just move onto the next title. Seems like devs now have to justify every single cent and then some to get a sale. You can just about get a bar of chocolate for a dollar now, and users want brilliant graphics, brilliant sound, hours and hours (years if possible) of gameplay, internet/social interaction and global high-scores. A sad state of affairs :(

[EDIT] Now played. that's really good fun:) It gave me a run for my money (well, nearly!).

The only problem I can see is that I had the same questions asked several times within a very short play.

I think the title is a little misleading too - MathFrog(s)/FroggyMaths might make more sense (1x1 kind of sounds as though it's a solo game).

The frog jump sounds are very loud and annoying, although necessary and important. A tune would definitely be welcomed (Two Little Speckled Frogs or something similar) as it would tone down the sfx.

What I would do also, is add a bug/fly that appears at the right answer if the player takes too long to answer a question - this would make it easier for younger players to learn maths, and prevent them turning off as they start losing due to being stuck. I would also include PLUS and MINUS operators (don't worry about divide just yet). The TOTAL SCORE required also seems a bit small and too close to the lower lily-pads.

But this really is a lovely game. :)

In case you are still worried about your suggested price-point - check this out: http://itunes.apple.com/app/jewel-picker/id446961919?mt=8 :S
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

About hte name: 1x1 is the German term for the equation set of "1x1, 1x2... 5x5, 5x6, ... 7x8, 8x8, 9x8, ... 10x10". I'm glad I asked before submitting! The closest English term seems to be "times table" or "multiplication table", but "Multiplication Table Frogs" is a bit awkward.

Multi-Frogs? 2x2 Frogs? (4x4 on iPad?)

Minus and plus operators come... But that's another game (1+1 Frogs, 1-1 Frogs), no? $)
In-App pruchase would be great (HINT TO MATCHY!!!)

QuoteThe TOTAL SCORE required also seems a bit small and too close to the lower lily-pads.
What total score?

Ian Price

Sorry, that was a slip of the brain as I was rushing to go out. I meant to say the required score, the actual sum (6x9 etc.)).

QuoteMinus and plus operators come... But that's another game (1+1 Frogs, 1-1 Frogs), no? $)
Spoken like a true business man =D :P I personally would include them, but it's you idea and your app.

Good luck with it :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Slydog

Since you plan on adding addition, subtraction, and perhaps division, a more generic name prefix may identify the series better, such as:
Math Frogs - Multiplication
Math Frogs - Addition
etc, or something along those lines.

or others:
Digit Frogs
Number Frogs
Fraction Frogs (too specific but sounds cool!)
Formula Frogs (my favorite!  sounds like they're racing too (as in Formula 1!))
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

spicypixel

Nice little game, I like the name "Froggled!" :D
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Kitty Hello

Fraction Frogs sounds like you have to tear them apart  :S

Math Frogs sounds like it could be a series. Good idea.

spicypixel

Froggled - Multiple Mayhem
Froggled - Added Chaos
Froggled - Divide and Conquer
Froggled - Take Away Mayday
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Kitty Hello

Is "froggled" a good name? I mean, it sounds cool, but will people know what it means?

Also for the icon. So far I have the "1x1" icon - what should I replace that with?
"1x1=?"
"2x2=?"
"2x2=4"
"2x7"
"AxB"
"NxM"

Ian Price

I do like the name Froggled :)

Why not just a simple Multiply symbol, rather than any figures? You could make similar icons with Plus, Minus and Divide that are then consistent with this app.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Or have the character used in the game behind the symbol(s) that will be used...

Kitty Hello

I could make a set of 2x2 symbols, and only highlight the math stuff within that app?

Attached iPhone 3G + 4 icons.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MrTAToad

Yes, that would be a good idea - would save having to create a whole load too...

Ian Price

I like it :)

Perhaps the non-used operators could be greyed out a bit more (don't want parents to miss the obvious that it's only Multiply and expect the other symbols in the game too), but other than that it's fine.
I came. I saw. I played.