Pi 3 - Model B

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

New Pi just wen't on sale, Quad core, 64bit, wifi... pretty powerful.

Here's the full specs.

QuoteDESCRIPTION
The Raspberry Pi just got juicer! Now with a Quad-Core 64bit CPU, WiFi & Bluetooth!

The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is the third generation Raspberry Pi. This powerful credit-card sized single board computer can be used for many applications and supersedes the original Raspberry Pi Model B+ and Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

Whilst maintaining the popular board format the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B brings you a more powerful processor, 10x faster than the first generation Raspberry Pi.

Additionally it adds wireless LAN & Bluetooth connectivity making it the ideal solution for powerful connected designs.

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Technical Specification

• Broadcom BCM2387 chipset
  • 1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
  • 802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 64 Bit CPU
  • 4 x USB ports
  • 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
  • Full size HDMI
  • 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socketbr
  • CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
  • DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
  • Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
  • Micro USB power source
Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Features

Now 10x Faster - Broadcom BCM2387 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board Computer running at 1.2GHz!
1GB RAM so you can now run bigger and more powerful applications
Fully HAT compatible
40pin extended GPIO to enhance your "real world" projects.
Connect a Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display (each sold separately)
Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080
Micro SD slot for storing information and loading your operating systems.
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket to quickly connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Yeah, it's a nice little machine at a teeny, weeny price. :D
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

=D only "2 days ago" appears the Pi2... really the Pi3 is a 'powerfull' computer, and 35$...

matchy

I'm going to order one soon and I really appreciate the onboard wifi.

UBERmonkeybot

I brought a PI2 2 weeks ago,bloody typical.That was a   vast improvment over the PI 1,I am using it to run KODI OpenElec as a media player i had better order me  a 3 now! :-)

bigsofty

I've got an ION ICade gathering dust in a corner, I'm kinda hoping to put a mini MAME machine together by adding a small screen & RPi. I've seen others do this on Reddit, so I know it do-able.

Edit: link... http://projects-raspberry.com/bartop-mini-retro-arcade-raspberry-pi-and-customised-icade/

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

That would be funky, specially if the cabinet could run GLB games with the Pi.

bigsofty

I am tempted to  grab one of these (Intel Atom based) http://up-shop.org/ RPi clones, just to make my GLB compatibility easier but I think the RPi 3 is still a better overall(and cheaper) choice for a mini-MAME.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

Im have two full size arcade cabinets my self. One Jamma based with old CRT Sony TV and one Mame with LCD Screen.

Im have two multiboards (138-1 GameElf multiboard and Pandora Box v3) as well 2 originals for the Jamma.

Im do guess Pi 2 performance was quite around same as that one im have. Here for Pandroa Box v3, its have various framerate/slowdown issues. Most games was playable throught, but some was not (one of them was Tetris Grandmaster 2, which was about 40% slowdown alltime). But in the end, im did really like this board, dispite issues. This was like excepted.

PS. Yes im have seen that arcade project. Im have still my iOS arcade, but  is in the original state.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

matchy

Quote from: erico on 2016-Mar-03
That would be funky, specially if the cabinet could run GLB games with the Pi.

What do you mean by "could"?  :nana:

bigsofty

@spacefractal: wow, I'm envious, I have a Jamma Supergun and 21" CRT awaiting a future cabinet. Truth be told though, I don't have the space currently for a full sized cabinet, hence the mini-Mame  :S

@matchy: That looks promising, did you find out what was causing problems with the Pi?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

matchy

bigsofty, what problems are you having?

erico

That terrain code half video away looks interesting.
I recall your zombie game had blocky terrain, like minecraft, while this one has diagonals.
How high can you push this terrain?
Would it be able to have mountains and the likes, similar to interstate 76 maps?

Here two examples of said map, the mountain parts are awesome to drive around.

matchy

erico, we always go tangent on off topic but you are right! I just level each corner to the next poly this time. Any height/depth ratio can be set and I'm still waiting for some plants and stuff (or at least conceptual design) from you since implementing the cars. Alternatively to a game, this could be augmented GPS traveling interfaces with needs funky kiosk/media player interface and a vehicle to go in.

erico

It runs fine on the pi right?... so we are on topic (at least) this time. ;/