Windows 10

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

I have Vista Pro and Win 7 Pro on my laptops - and keeping it that way for now!

"Get bent M$!" :)

I really feel Microsoft are gonna regret some of their policies - some 3rd party with a lot of backing might come out with an alternative that runs all windows stuff.... and Apple are worse than them!

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

An OS that ships online data...this is just horrible, probably won´t happen on the more pro version of it, which is what I will be trying in 6 months or an year.
I know it won´t upload the files itself but still, who said they could use my payed internet service for their own needs in the first place?

Strange times. Let´s wait and see.

MrPlow

Facebook and the Hype about Cloud Computing  are to blame - Microsoft probably wouldn't have dared but can use the excuse that the Cloud is the way to go - which is lame excuse ... facebook already steals all our digital data etc.

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

But facebook steals only what you put on it lets say? But a full OS stealing everything?
I hear it is only about the home versions and so.

ps: I have been using less and less of facebook, it has become really crap with all its apps, very doubtfull ads, total to no control anymore on your newsfeed. I believe this way they will go down soon (~3years), No surprise they have been investing on different fields.

Hemlos

Like any new OS...you have to let it simmer a few years till the next OS is available. lol

Quote from: erico on 2015-Aug-02
Agreed philosophically!
But I would question the hard sharp angles on the border of the square, are they really that sharp or a single point curve? ::)

Particles.... no edges.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

erico

Looks nice Hemlos,
quite creepy!

kanonet

Quote from: erico on 2015-Aug-12But a full OS stealing everything?
Ever heard about Android? A whole OS made by a tracking company, which only made it to get more data about you, so it can sell better advertising targets to its customers (customers are those that buy add space and pay google, you are just a data deliverer, no customer). BTW I dont blame Android to be worse then anything else, I just point out, that Microsoft is just following a trend.
You also should worry about your browser, if you dont configure it very carefully and block many "services" you just let it hand out extremely large data about you, by just surfing sites, even if you dont log into anything.

At Win10:
what I find the most fun are updates. In the last months Microsoft had problems with quality of updates the had to pull back several because they caused problems, going up to completely destroying the windows installation so it could not boot up any more. But if you got informed about that fast enough, you could decide to not install this updates. What did Microsoft with Win10? Enforce all updates, you can not cancel out individual ones, it will automatically install all updates. Well done Microsoft, creative solution.

Quote from: bigsoftylink=topic=10384.msg91758#msg91758 date=1438770613Here is a quick guide to removing some of the built in malware... https://fix10.isleaked.com
Thank you for that link, did help to setup my testing win10.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

erico

Oh, I know what android is, but I kind of don´t bother much since it is not an OS that is running the core of my work.
Yep, agreed on the ´following trend´ and I doubt OSX and WIN didn´t do much of these before either way.

Are there versions for win 10? like home, enterprise, etc? If so what is yours?

MrTAToad

Yes, there are multiple versions - mine is the Home version.

Hemlos

Quote from: bigsofty on 2015-Aug-05
Here is a quick guide to removing some of the built in malware... https://fix10.isleaked.com

omg, thats a long list of installation instructions, i think im going to wait on win 10 for now.....wait for the "features" to be sorted in later version.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

I think all these can be put in a singe reg file to import.

BdR

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2015-Aug-01
The upgrade wasn't fast, and you do meet The Black Screen Of Worry...
"The Black Screen Of Worry" :D lol I know exactly what you mean, I think this new term will catch on. I'm still on Windows 8.1 but that also has this "Black Screen Of Worry" every now and then. It's usually an unannounced upgrade right at start up, without any feeback or progress bar or anything. For couple of minutes you're just staring at a black screen even though there's some HDD activity.

The first time I got this BSOW I shut the computer down after about 2 minutes thinking it had just crashed or something. But after that my sounddriver was gone and I couldn't open the configuration screen anymore.

MrTAToad

Yes, it is something that annoys me about Windows (and Microsoft) - any time there is a long operation (or really for any operation which the user cant stop), there should be feedback about the progress of the operation.  With The Black Screen Of Worry, you dont know if anything is happening (especially if there is no disk activity) - I have reset the computer in this state a few times, thinking it has crashed.

Fortunately, in this case, I left it and was rewarded with The Coloured Screen Of Relief.

Ian Price

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2015-Aug-17
Yes, it is something that annoys me about Windows (and Microsoft) - any time there is a long operation (or really for any operation which the user cant stop), there should be feedback about the progress of the operation.  With The Black Screen Of Worry, you dont know if anything is happening (especially if there is no disk activity) - I have reset the computer in this state a few times, thinking it has crashed.

Fortunately, in this case, I left it and was rewarded with The Coloured Screen Of Relief.

Indeed. We've all been there, methinks.
I came. I saw. I played.