simple puzzle game WIP

Previous topic - Next topic

Emil

Hi all!
I'm a 3D graphics artist by day but when I get home from work, and after the family goes to sleep, I become a game programmer =)

Have been playing around alot with glbasic lately and now I feel I can tackle a simple puzzle game.

This is the first time I post here and it's also the first game prototype I'm showing off.., so.., feel free to comment and post feedback!

My plan is to implement even more features to the gameplay and when all that is finished (and bug free) start working on refining graphics, probably doing a complete overhaul.

The game itself is fairly simple right now..,
. go from blue cross to red cross
. you can only travel horizontally or vertically and you go until you hit a wall.
. special blocks (right now I only have "arrow" blocks that blocks you from the opposite direction of the arrow)
. all maps are randomly generated

-- deleted link to game files (was adult content on the upload site)

/Emil

Ian Price

Hi Emil

That's a really nice little game (very similar in concept to my B'lox! game) - I love puzzle games and have coded many over the years, so this is right up my street.

A cracking start :)

Any chance of seeing some of your 3D stuff?
I came. I saw. I played.

Sokurah

Quote from: RayRayTea on 2012-Jul-22
Um, so how do I start it? I tried to just run it from IDE (the evaluation version) but I get a bunch of errors. (I'm new to GL Basic, as you can see :P )

You don't "run it from the IDE" - you just unpack the files to a folder and run the EXE file in the archive. That should do it. You don't need GLBasic to run it.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Emil

Hi Ian.., don't have anything really specific to show off.., since everything at work is a group effort.
Here's our vimeo channel https://vimeo.com/magoo3dstudios
Some years ago I worked on the video game penumbra: overture if that's recognisable to anybody(?)
I checked out your B'lox! game, looks awesome! :)
And yeah.., very similair in concept! Was it tricky to make it work on apples app store?

@RayRayTea: Yeah just do what Sokurah said :)

RayRayTea

Quote from: Sokurah on 2012-Jul-22You don't "run it from the IDE" - you just unpack the files to a folder and run the EXE file in the archive. That should do it. You don't need GLBasic to run it.
Whoops, I was looking at the wrong directory that coincidentally had the same name ("bricks") and some old GLBasic files that don't work. (I deleted that post.)

Anyway the game is fun!

Wampus

Looking good so far.

Is it me, or is level 8 impossible?  :-[

Quote from: Emil on 2012-Jul-22
Some years ago I worked on the video game penumbra: overture if that's recognisable to anybody(?)

=D great

Ian Price

QuoteWas it tricky to make it work on apples app store?

It was approved quick enough, but getting anything onto the AppStore takes the patience of a saint - there are so many hoops to jump through and things to get right. Having to use a Mac and XCode is a right pain in the ass. Apple have made it as difficult as possible for devs AND we have to pay for the privilege via the Dev License.

As for Penumbra - I vaguely recall it. Wasn't it a survival horror game?

I couldn't get past level 8 either :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Emil

edit: Ian, I'm sad to hear about the troubles you encountered with the AppStore... I was thinking of trying to release this on there if I take this to the appropiate level of completion. Was there anything specific that you had a hard time with?

On level 8 you need to use one of the arrow blocks (going in the opposite direction so that you stop right next to it).
Every level is possible to solve. Or should be atleast.., as long as my algorithm is working correctly  :whistle:

and since it's randomly generated.., in theory the levels are infinite...
I made it so it would get trickier and harder over time (first levels are dead easy as you noticed).

But I need to add more special rules.., the "trickiness" stops at a halt and so far I can only generate a map that has 19 steps neccessary.

I'm thinking of stuff like having keys and locked doors.., blocks that can be pushed or crumbles when touched etc...

Penumbra is indeed that horror survivor thingy you thought off Ian :)

I'm glad you like it (so far) Wampus ^_^

level 10 is my favorite so far.., It was tricky (for me atleast) to solve it in the least amount of steps.

Ian Price

I didn't have any trouble with the AppStore itself - once you've got the code compiled in XCode the rest is pretty easy - it's getting certification and other things correct that gives everyone hassle. All in all, with proper instructions it doesn't/didn't take too long. Without them, you're in a world of hurt. I bought a guide for the process, which saved me a lot of head-scratching, but it still takes a while to work through properly.

As for the game, I didn't have much time to play as I loaded it up just before going to work, but I saw and played enough to enjoy it.
I came. I saw. I played.

Emil

Ok, I haven't even started working with XCode yet so now I know what to expect I guess :)
Thanks for the tip about getting a guide! Which one did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I've started brainstorming ideas for graphics.., no paint/3d work yet but a little sample of a cool particles idea.
I'm trying to mimic the bokeh effect of a real camera. something akin to the startup graphics of the PS3

Is there a way to do polys with vertices that have 0 alpha? right now I'm just using additive blendmode.

I have almost no idea where exactly I'm going with the "blurred" out particles but something cool can be done, I think...  :zzz:

Wampus

Not sure if this answers your question, but if you're using ALPHAMODE then you can't use the value 0 for the equivalent of total transparency. However, having a value very close to 0 will have the same effect as total transparency. If instead you're experiencing a problem with the edges of polygons having imperfect blending there is a discussion of this problem here: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=8038.15 and here: http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=6671.150

Nice effect btw. Are you getting that by re-drawing the same polygons multiple times but changing the scale? Or using pre-rendered bitmaps?

erico

Really nice effect, is the background fog very blurred particles? Or is is an image?
Keep it going! :good:

Emil

About the alpha thing.., I think you misunderstood me. You can set color for polys on their vertices.., but is there a way to change alpha also instead of only rgb? I'd like something similair to a rgba(red, green, blue, alpha).

I'm glad you like the effect :)
And no it's not redrawn polygons or a texture. Just a simple idea:
1: make a circle
2: make it "blurry"
3: add "glow" or "glare" to really bright particles

I'm working on the perspective part of the particles now (making it become smaller the further away they are etc). I think I've cracked the math.., Will try to implement it later this evening.

Wampus

Yes and no. Nothing similar to RGBA with the Polyvector command. However, if you change the Alphamode value prior to defining a new vertex that should work. Haven't tested it with Fan or Strip polygon modes but I know it works with Triangle mode and should in theory with the others too. I suspect that is what you're already doing? Something like this:-

ALPHAMODE -1

POLYVECTOR xcoord, ycoord, patx, paty, rgb

ALPHAMODE -0.5

POLYVECTOR xcoord, ycoordbig, patx, patyy, rgb

ALPHAMODE -0.01

POLYVECTOR xcoordbig, ycoordbig, patxx, patyy, rgb

ALPHAMODE -1

POLYVECTOR xcoordbig, ycoordbig, patxx, patyy, rgb

ALPHAMODE -0.5

POLYVECTOR xcoordbig, ycoord, patxx, paty, rgb

ALPHAMODE -0.01

POLYVECTOR xcoord, ycoord, patx, paty, rgb