Helicopter Flight Simulator Game, 2012, alpha

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

Progress report:

Hi team,

I have not been idle with this project, even though the poll process is going to be time consuming.

A "Proof of concept" project has been going along well.
What i have been working on is a helicopter simulator.
So far, it is airborne, and flying with 6dof.
Some physics have been added like friction, gravity, and wind.
I have been building flight indicator systems also: gps coords, air speed, altimeter.
The joystick controls do very good, and precision is good.
I will be adding multiple camera views with the hatswitch in the next few days.
A timer system to make it relative to everyones gpu speed is in the works...this is by far the most challenging part so far, as having variable frame rates is imperitive.
The HUD is 2d right now, but i will be adding a 3d hud in the weeks to come.
Again, this project im working on is "Proof of concept", which will demonstrate the 6 degrees of freedom attached to objects, and flight dynamics.
By the time our polling is over, i will have a flight dynamics template completed.

I need some information, maybe you guys can help?
What i need is feedback on other flight sims....what is the average frame rate from different simulators.....Battleground europe, aces high, MS Flight Simulator, XFLight, etc.
This will give me a general idea of what to expect from the gpu's and what speed range i should be concerned with. Please any feedback is essential and much appreciated.

S!
Hemlos

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Goos

Hemlos

It means Massively Multiplayer Online, which is usually a game.
Please, refer to message #1 in this thread for all acronym definitions:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=3875.msg28306#msg28306

Hemlos

2 days left for Polling round 1.

MMO Modern Combat with Heli and infantry is taking the lead  :good:

erico

something on the likes of EPIC on the amiga would be nice. Now if that option for a race game is not a joke, I'm found of stunt car race hehe.

if it could be a sci fi, maybe something as cool and complex as mechwarrior would be a gift (ships instead of robots of corse).

One good sci fi sim old school I think is a good reference is WARHEAD, check it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhead_%28computer_game%29

Hemlos

I think im going to steer toward a game like BGE(wwiionline):
www.battlegroundeurope.com
In bge, you can multicrew aircraft, with a gunner, or you can fly a load of paratroopers to the fight.

I have an idea, which is a variation of BGE, im going to go for it.
This game, the difference will be instead of ww2, itll be Cold war to present era, with AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters, and infantry.

Youl be able to multicrew a helicopter, pilot and gunner.
Pilot will have mounted rockets, and the gunner will use the machine gun turret mounted in the front.
Also, i think im going to add the heuy for skilled pilots, to move troops into battle, and move supplies.
I dont want it to be with towns, itll be more with bases, and troops taking over new ones.
The scenery will be mountainous, possibly afganistan.
It will be mmo, but this goal wont be reached for a few months i suspect.
I have started building an AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter, and it is looking good so far.

Ok team, next poll will be for a name.
Also, i need someone familiar with helicopters to test my model soon.
And if anyone wants to start doing 2d 3d or sounds, let me know, ill give you a small project.

MrTAToad

I think you should do something like Spy Hunter - only better...

A remake of C64's Turbocharge would be good!

doimus

Quote from: Hemlos on 2009-Dec-02

Also, i need someone familiar with helicopters to test my model soon.
And if anyone wants to start doing 2d 3d or sounds, let me know, ill give you a small project.

I like this direction. My favourite.  :good: (going to play some LHX now...)

I am very familiar with military aircraft. Ask whatever you like, and I can start some 3d work...

Hemlos

What do you think of the first helicopter?
Screenshot of a high resolution AH-1Z SuperCobra.
I will make the typical Huey next.

Dom, we need 4 infantry soldiers, which works like moon.md2 in the 3d animation sample of GLBasic.

Ok dom you asked for it:
Make a A soldier, it will need to do with an m16 weapon: lean, run, walk, crouch(and move crouched), stand normal, stand at attention, lay prone, laying down and crawling(!), throw grenades from 3 positions(stand, crouch prone), and cheer.

ALso on the plate for 3d stuff in this order:
-Terrain map
-Trees
-Rocks
-Forward Bases (tents or small buildings)
-Tunnels(for tunnel wars, which will attach through mountains or towns)
-Small towns with 5 kinds of buildings to start, and 2 lane dirt roads.
-Aircraft Carriers, PT boats, jets(for show only)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hemlos

Ok im starting a new poll.....for a name.

Suggestions for a helicopter infantry combat simulator name?

Ill add names to the poll as i get suggestions in .
The poll wont finish till the list is populated.

Winner: helicopter infantry combat simulator  with 22% of the votes
Quote from: Poll #1 We need a genre, pick four! You can change your vote too.
Combat FS, fighter jets, less action and skills required here.(Hemlos is not voting for this one.)  2 (4%)
Combat FS, modern with helicopters, and ground infantry, mixed genre, (Flying and shooting at people, woo)  11 (22%)
Combat FS, WW2 fighters and bombers, more action and flying skills!!!  8 (16%)
Combat FS, WW2 bombers, single player only.  4 (8%)
Air Racing, Red Bull style Racing!! (I love this style, exciting, fast, and SKILLZ)  9 (18%)
Space Ships, Space Stations, Planets, bases. Trading, and war. MMORPG with AI enemies. Totally immersive.  8 (16%)
Strictly Space Combat, totally fast and furious, futuristic MMO!  1 (2%)
Other MMO. I will announce my idea in this thread.  0 (0%)
Other Single Player. I will announce my idea in this thread.  1 (2%)
I am not interested in participating in making games at all, i dont even know why im in this thread.  0 (0%)
Anything, as long as it isnt MMO style.  3 (6%)
Make a car racing game instead!  3 (6%) Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: Today at 08:55:52 pm

amarliani

Hi Hemlos,
the heli looks fine so far. Might need some details on the surface pics some time.

I'm still working on an alpha version of our web site. What do you think about settling this alpha stage to a free hoster like for example www.kilu.de or any other, so that the whole team can always access and review it?

WPShadow

I think "Frontlines 2010" could be a dangerous name, because of this:

PS.: the heli looks great!!!  :good:
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est

FutureCow

I vote for a name of
Super-duper Helicopter Infantry Combat Simulator

Hemlos

Hemlos

Quote from: amarliani on 2009-Dec-03
Hi Hemlos,
the heli looks fine so far. Might need some details on the surface pics some time.

I'm still working on an alpha version of our web site. What do you think about settling this alpha stage to a free hoster like for example www.kilu.de or any other, so that the whole team can always access and review it?

1. I will have decals which can be editable by a player or me....this will be easy.
I can have a simple small object floating right above the skin of the chopper for details.
Will be able to add squad flags or country etc.
Or even rank.

2. For the website, www.kilu.de is absolutely perfect!
And for a main image you can use the image i posted above.
Ill make more images as i go along, you can edit these to make them fancier.

For information to add to the website, you can use the NB information at the top of this thread. I will update the NB with important stuff, you can do with the info as you wish.

@Everyoneelse:
I got a helicopter attached to the quaternion...although at extreme angle the object gimbal locks, this will have to be something i move on with because it wont be a usabilty issue...at extreme angles...you crash anyway. lol
I made changes to the name poll, please check if your vote was cancelled.