A Game a week with the power of GLBasic.

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Yep. Played it last in about 1990. Once the 286s came out the game played like too fast. In those days timing code wasn't exactly used that much (even Elite played too fast). Almost definitely CGA, although I think we used simCGA on a green screen Hercules card. Sucked big style.

Best CGA game though was Sopwith 2. Almost feel like I should remake it with multi-player. Almost definitely been done though... Brilliant game to play after getting back to college from pub and you are a bit wasted :) Either that or Tetris...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Ruidesco

It seems there are both a freeware remake from '96 and a commercial one from '06.
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/triplane-turmoil-series

erico

:offtopic:
Quote from: Crivens on 2012-Feb-09
...Once the 286s came out the game played like too fast. In those days timing code wasn't exactly used that much (even Elite played too fast)...

I soo much wished stunt car racer would run faster on my powerfull a4000 :'(
Guess they harcoded it to run about a500 speed no matter what.

There are alternatives nowadays for that itch of mine, but nothing 100% perfect!

Ian Price

QuoteOnce the 286s came out the game played like too fast. In those days timing code wasn't exactly used that much (even Elite played too fast)...
Indeed. When I got my very first pc it came with 1 bunch of games - Elite was one of them. I so looked forward to playing it as I'd really enjoyed it on the CPC. Unfortunately it ran at a billion times the speed of other versions and was thusly unplayable. :(
I came. I saw. I played.

quangdx

Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

quangdx

This weeks game is two days late, but I got there in the end.
working with collision detection for a playfield that loops on itself has been hell.

Go on over to the facebook page and play Abduction.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=229255363832808&set=a.197709486987396.45076.121366111288401&type=1&theater

Moru

Quote from: erico on 2012-Feb-09
I soo much wished stunt car racer would run faster on my powerfull a4000 :'(
Guess they harcoded it to run about a500 speed no matter what.

There are alternatives nowadays for that itch of mine, but nothing 100% perfect!

At that time most Amiga and Atari games used the VBI to limit the speed to the update frequency of the monitor. This removed all problems with tearing and speed problems when you upgrade the computer. I have no idea why this is so hard to do on PC. Still you see games that does no VBL limit at all... It's even a feature to NOT limit to VBL.

This is also very background-process friendy since it leaves cycles unused between every screen refresh. Multitasking on a normal 8 MHz cpu :-)

Kitty Hello

problem with VBL limit is, that some monitors (espacially in the 1990s) were up to 120 Hz, where others are still 50 Hz.
With TFT displays it's either 50 or 60 now. But that's also bad. We played TEKKEN back then for PSone with an EU/JP version that was 50 Hz, then bought TEKKEN2 from an US source and got a 60 HZ game, which was really noticeably faster.

matchy

In the 80s, I ran my Amiga 500 on a direct output to RGB 15" video editing monitor (deep box) at 60hz and the crispness at least surprised local PAL 50hz composite video consumers.  :P

quangdx

Don't suppose anyone has had a chance to play Abduction yet?
all feedback would be helpful,
I think this game is the one I spent the most time on.

Wampus

Abduction works real well. The funny audio was a great idea.

How anyone survives long beyond level 2 to get over twice my highscore amazes me.

erico

It is a great game! Best so far!

Seems like a mix between choplifter and some atari 2600 game I can´t remember the name , ark something (you are an ufo abduction alien forms).

What I think needs improvement:

-UFO control needs to be less strong, either you are at the top or bottom. After a few plays, I can manage the control but I think you should have it more on the easy so not to scare new players

-GFX concerning sprites has borders, you have to try and get rid of them (or is it only here?).

-needs an artistic direction. your games will benefit from having a visual style, the way I see it, you currently have a mix of them, like vectors, drawing over pictures and pictures. It is just too much imho, and resembles fast done flash games (which is not the case).

-Sprite sizes could be more balanced, maybe some of them smaller to leave more play area.

Just my humble opinions, don´t take me wrong, doing a game this fast is a great thing to start with! congratulations again.
Sound and music are great too. As well as the overall package.

keep em coming!

ps :sorry to mention of topic things before...got carried away ;)
ps2: I will beat that top highscore, you wait and see! :rant:

edit: score could increase if you abduct from higher altitudes?

edit2: YEAH THE HIGHSCORE IS MIIIINE!!

edit3: while the program is checking internet stuff to upload highscore, my pc reports it not responding, then, things go back to normal.

Moru

Quote from: quangdx on 2012-Feb-16
Don't suppose anyone has had a chance to play Abduction yet?
all feedback would be helpful,
I think this game is the one I spent the most time on.

I'm sorry but it said "facebook" in the download-post and that was when I just blanked out. Don't have it, won't have it.

quangdx

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Feb-16
Abduction works real well. The funny audio was a great idea.

How anyone survives long beyond level 2 to get over twice my highscore amazes me.

Cheers for the feedback,
Since I've started the game a week project, a lot of my friends have wanted to get involved,
either music techs or artists.
I think my friend Robin has done an excellent job audio wise for this one.

As for getting past level 2, takes a while, but you learn a few tricks,
like hiding behind the other ship, or luring the tanks/choppers to a different part of the map.

quangdx

Really appreciate the feedback erico,
the inspiration for this game is indeed Defender, just from the aliens perspective.
Had a quick look for the atari 2600 game you mention and I found this
Cosmic Ark - http://youtu.be/7SU0aTXlGVQ

I agree about the vertical movement of the spaceship, it could do with some fine tuning to give you better control.

Graphics were done by a friend in illustrator, and for some reason gives rogue white pixels, I didn't have time to go manually clean them all up.
And I know what you mean about it being a mish mash of art styles, but I quite like the mix of cartoon and photo, sort of a weird South Park thing.

The problem with the sprites being do big, came from after the background was laid down, everything had to be of relative scale to it. And by the time everything was put in, I then realised it didn't give you much room to maneuver, once again not enough time to rescale all the graphics. There was gonna be 3 enemy types, tanks, choppers and jets, but by the time I was adding the jets, there was just no space and it made it way too hard.

I love the fact that you kept playing to get the high score, means I've made a good game.
as for the program not responding when accessing the server, I'm not sure how I would fix that,
actually.... as I was typing this, I think if I add a SHOWSCREEN in the loop I use NETWEBGET, it should solve that.
The Online HiScore routine has been the same since the first one, I've not had time to go back over it and fix it up, yet.