Super Smash Bros.... on the NES?

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

Yes! It can happen! Ever wondered if a Goomba could kick the living snot out of one of those fish-folk from Castlevania? Wanted to watch a Shyguy kill Lakitu? Or maybe you just needed to know if that old woman from Zelda II had some tricks up her sleeves... there's Uber Bash Brothers for that! My little side-project I've been working on for some time now has come to a point where it's playable and fun. The code of the game is 100% finished, I just need to fill the character roster to the max. As it is, there are 21 fully playable characters and 7 unique maps. Every character has its own strengths and weaknesses. Please see attached screenshots! I wasn't going to "go public" with this one, because I made it for a special surprise at an upcoming family Christmas party, but I'll at least upload screenshots for now and then make the game available once I have finished my planned 50+ characters and all of the maps!

Features:
4 players maximum via game controllers
Music vote system: each map can have original or OcRemix(tm) music!
Map vote system
Diverse moves and a "special bar" system to limit powerful moves etc
Real-time physics and gravity effects
Easy map editing
Full projectile / particle system, up to 10,000 effects at 60FPS on my low-end computer
Original sound effects and sprites from games

Note: This game has a unique twist - no heroes! Notice there's no Mario? No Megaman? It's entirely the underlings and enemies of games, making it very unique.

Darmakwolf

Screenies part II

Darmakwolf

Screenies part III

spacefractal

can we get a video of the platform game?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Darmakwolf

Yeah, I'll see about doing that today. Problem is it's just me in the house for a few days here, so it'd be videos of me vs me... no computer AI yet.

erico

A video is tempting.

The idea sounds like great fun with all those characters. :good:

Darmakwolf

Ok so I screen-recorded some videos (low-ish quality MP4s to save space / uploading time)

explaination: It's just me, dual-wielding ps2 controllers fighting against myself. Not easy! lol
I just test out a few characters and moves, nothing special. When you're fighting to the death with a friend it's a lot more intense!
Please note I have only incorporated one "event" at the moment, which is Morshu from Zelda CD-i dropping bombs. So please excuse that for now :P

I was lazy on a few levels where I didn't add any animated tiles, but that's no big deal atm.

Attaching videos!!

Darmakwolf

Darmakwolf

CptnRoughnight

Really great!

Would you release it for Pandora too? Can you play via net? Would be a awesome game for pandora!  :nw:

Darmakwolf

Sadly that is unlikely.
1: I don't own Pandora
2: It's meant to be played multiplayer on the same screen
3: There's no netcode, it's local multiplayer
4: It's hard-coded for 720P resolution (1280x720)

However, when it's 100% done, I'll release my source code as usual and you can do what you'd like to it ;)

CptnRoughnight

Nice! I'm waiting for it, to port it to Pandora! :) Thank you!

Darmakwolf

hahaha - you are a brave soul. When it comes to GLBasic, my code is functional but scary. Usually it looks like a terrifying vaulting wall of text that one would not believe is actually program code.

CptnRoughnight

Then it takes a little longer, I'll try anyway! :)

erico

Checked all videos, this looks like to be super fun. A perfect match game for when having friends around.
Keep it up! :good: