Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Looks nice, I like the style. I used eyeball plants in an old CPC game I made many moons ago, this looks very similar funnily enough. A blink animation or a 'follow the player' view state would be a nice addition to it IMHO.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Rober7, are you think sell in Steam?¿ (I'm not sure if you comment this). I see the last video and I think the game have enough quality for a PC Game... I love the effect of the vircle arround the main character...

Continue the game is really really good and nice.

r0ber7

Quote from: bigsofty on 2016-Mar-26A blink animation or a 'follow the player' view state would be a nice addition to it IMHO.

I have considered the same thing, maybe I will do that. For now I updated the sprite's graphics a bit.

Quote from: mentalthink on 2016-Mar-26Continue the game is really really good and nice.

Thanks, your compliments are humbling. I have not decided anything about commercial things, like how to sell, yet.

Today I did a forest level, with some elves and a few darklings.

r0ber7

I tweaked the forest level some more, and now it won't load. So it's back to bug hunting for now. I also want to cut off a lot of unnecessary codebase. Optimization and elmination are needed.

erico

The whole game is looking like it is in shape, is it necessary (optimization and clean up)?
The forest is great, but I feel some of your newer GFX are going a little bit away from what you currently have style wise, not too away, just a bit.

Maybe check the optimization and clean up based on your target hardware´s performance?

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2016-Mar-30
The whole game is looking like it is in shape, is it necessary (optimization and clean up)?
The forest is great, but I feel some of your newer GFX are going a little bit away from what you currently have style wise, not too away, just a bit.

Maybe check the optimization and clean up based on your target hardware´s performance?

I still consider it somewhat important, especially the loading time for levels. However, optimization is not the biggest priority, thanks for reminding me. :-)

MrPlow

Niiiiice!

Like the those spell effects and paralax scrolling...
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

r0ber7

Quote from: MrPlow on 2016-Apr-01
Niiiiice!

Like the those spell effects and paralax scrolling...

Thanks. :)

The way I compile currently is by running GLBasic v12 on an old Windows laptop, which I've got hooked up to the ethernet. It compiles for Mac, using OS-X uni.

This is tedious (having to work with two computers) so I've tried setting up GLBasic v14 in a VirtualBox, but to no avail.

For now I only make minor changes to the code, and I'm making levels. I added a castle to the forest level shown above. I'm also planning an ocean level, with lots of boats and squid.

r0ber7

I've made a lot of progress these days. This is because I installed Crossover, making development a lot easier.

<3

- tweaked the shield particle effects
- added earth magic animations
- tweaked jump gravity
- fixed a bug in the menu
- fixed broken colour customization of wizard
- added details to existing levels
- fixed enemy spawning
- edited a bunch of levels

I still cannot directly compile for Mac. It gives the error "create process failed", which probably has something to do with Crossover. Maybe I can adjust the bottle settings.

r0ber7

Crossover has been awesome. I've added some functionality to the level editor. I also made a loading screen.

r0ber7

Just posting to say I've picked up work on this again.

bigsofty

Well done, always was a good looking game.  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

r0ber7

Quote from: bigsofty on 2017-Mar-11
Well done, always was a good looking game.  :good:

Thanks. I don't have much fancy graphics to show right now, but I have been working on this. Specifically:

- I completely redid the camera system, making movement feel a lot more smooth. Based on this talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvCO97jOQk
- Grass now moves a little if the wizard or other creatures walk on it.
- Level editor has been improved by adding DDGui components, making level creation quicker.
- A few enemy sprites have been redone or improved.
- I added an ingame menu, allowing the player to exit to the menu or to desktop.
- I moved back to the old map and added a new island to it. Also some user interface to see which level to play.
- Fixed many, many bugs.

:coffee:

erico

Nice that you are back at it! :good:
Do you have a plan of what things are left to do? Or are you going about at will?

It is a great game, from the last time I experienced it, so it must be even better now. :)
Do you happen to have a pic of the level editor with the ddgui?

MrPlow

Great stuff! I also watched that video recently - really useful stuff.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs