GCW Zero - New Console

Previous topic - Next topic

gigios

Jay Barwick has founded a new company that currently are developing a new portable gaming console.

The main specifics are these:
CPU: Ingenic Jz4770 1GHz Processor
GPU: 496MHz Vivante GC860 1080p video decoding and OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1           
DISPLAY: 3.5"LCD 4:3(320X240 pixels)                   
Memory: DDR2 256MB
Internal Storage: 4GB
External storage:  via micro SD Up to 32GB
Mini USB 2.0 OTG
Mini HDMI 1.3 Out
3.5mm earphone/mic/Stereo Speakers
G-Sensor/VibroShock
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g  and Wireless Multiplayer
Media & Entertainment                                               
Video: MPEG4/H.264/H.263/MPEG2/MPEG4/WMV/FLV/3GP/AVI/MKV/MOV/VOB/RMVB
Audio: Mp3/Wav/Wma/Flac/Ogg/M4a/Acc
Emulation: PS1/N64/CPS1/CPS2/CPS3/NEOGEO/GBA/SFC/MD/FC/GBC/SMS/GG/GB     
EBook: txt/epub/html/pdf
Basic Parameters:                                                                                           
Dimensions: 143*70*18mm                                       
Weight:  8oz                                     
Battery: 2800mAh

In the video is also mentioned the possibility for developers to request a prototype 'discounted' to develop on this console.
Can be this a chance to port GLBasic also on this console?

Blog: http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.it/
Prototype announcement: OpenPandora Board

EMail: GCWNow at gmail.com

erico

Read about on the pandora boards.

It would be nice if it comes off smooth and has a proper store.
I´m getting a little skeptical about the latest attempts on such as gamegadget´s store is not yet going ok and the Nd is probably vapour.

There isen´t much diffence into these hardwares as compared to dingoos or caanoo, but this one seems packed with a few more twists then the average ones.
I have hopes the store can became a niche place for use to sell our prods.

erico

Latest info reports that the specs will be that as Gigios stated for final prod.
Since it is a linux box, out of curiosity, do you guys think compiling code from GLB to that could happen in a easy way?

hardyx

¿Another console with 320x240 pixels in 2012? O_O

erico

yep, it seems to source higher resolution screens would make the device price skyrocket.
Since I´m a fan of 320x240 I wold not mind :P

There were talks about possible 640x480, and such would be great for the more productive software as well as more modern emulation.

From what I read, I guess the first iteration of the console has to be on a price range considered pop, like the 100$ line of stuff.
I would still prefer they would go more pop on the 50$ line, but I guess that will depend on the team´s actual goals with such a handheld.

I have hopes they are not targeting things on the ´emu scene´ only since for such there is already a bunch of devices going on.

Youkaisan

Jz4770 / Vivante GC860 is capable of Android 2.x to 4.0, why not make it an android console?

That may sell better than using Dingux.

erico

I would not know. But there sure is a great set of android handhelds coming out and some have higher specs.

I suspect that using android and its store would make the handheld not quite an open one and would require some fees too.
Running linux can keep your system closer to an open condition.

It is just a guess though.

hardyx

Quote from: yoxola on 2012-May-29
Jz4770 / Vivante GC860 is capable of Android 2.x to 4.0, why not make it an android console?

That may sell better than using Dingux.
Have very low cpu speed for Android. ¿why to put Android in all devices? A raw Linux is the best for use all the system resources, and use all the memory.

cruelcynic

So  with it running linux does that mean GLBasic will work for it?

Ian Price

Quote from: cruelcynic on 2012-May-30
So  with it running linux does that mean GLBasic will work for it?
Until it ships we can only say "Probably" Chances are high though. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Ah, wouldn't it be using a MIPS processor though ?

erico

It seems they are interested in pushing a set of special first editions and it got some specs upgraded for that.
There is info on this on the panda boards and they also stated they should have a proper page coming up quite soon.

cruelcynic

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-May-31
Ah, wouldn't it be using a MIPS processor though ?
Yes it does.

gcwnow

We are currently developing a portable gaming system based on the Ingenic jZ4770 1GHz processor.

The hardware is in prototype stage and we are tweaking and adding things as the open source community tells us what they would like in this device.

The Open Source community has always wanted more so we have taken it upon ourselves to develop a console as close as we can to what the open source community wants.

We already have a core development team for the hardware and have started working with three developers for the actual OS development on the console which is in prototype phase also.

In the future we also plan on asking game and app developers to join the fold to further the development of the product into a full spectrum device.

The final goal is to have a gaming system with a Repository like Android app store where apps/games can be downloaded for free or purchased from developers on the repository. We are in development phase of this also with another group also called MyITKnowledge.com.

Below you will find specs of the device.

CPU: Ingenic Jz4770 1GHz Processor

GPU: 496MHz Vivante GC860 1080p video decoding and OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1           

DISPLAY: 3.5"LCD 4:3(320X240 pixels)                   

Memory: DDR2 256MB

Internal Storage: 4GB

External storage:  via micro SD Up to 32GB

Mini USB 2.0 OTG

Mini HDMI 1.3 Out

3.5mm earphone/mic/Stereo Speakers

G-Sensor/VibroShock

Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g  and Wireless Multiplayer

Media & Entertainment                                             

Video: MPEG4/H.264/H.263/MPEG2/MPEG4/WMV/FLV/3GP/AVI/MKV/MOV/VOB/RMVB

Audio: Mp3/Wav/Wma/Flac/Ogg/M4a/Acc

Emulation: PS1/CPS1/CPS2/NEOGEO/GBA/SFC/MD/FC/GBC/SMS/GG/GB     

EBook: txt/epub/html/pdf/doc

Basic Parameters:                                                                                         

Dimensions: 143*70*18mm                                     

Weight:  8oz                                   

Battery: 2800mAh         

Languages: English/Russian/Japanese/Spanish

Now for the way important stuff a link to our blog and videos of the GCW-Zero In Action:

http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.com/

First demo of the GCW-Zero:

http://youtu.be/6cN2wZM28Gw

Comparision of sound lag on Android consoles compared to GCW-Zero:

http://youtu.be/mzXRyFQM3Ts

SNES Game Play on GCW-Zero:

http://youtu.be/wCM1kLh-9fI

GBA Game Play on GCW-Zero:

http://youtu.be/0_IXRT3rxQk

We would love to see GL-Basic ported to our device....

erico

Welcome gcwnow,

Always good to have a word of the creators within their users. :good: