Simple Platform Game Help

Previous topic - Next topic

daioz

Firstly apologies if this has already been covered I did do a search and found nothing.
Secondly apologies for my noobness this is my 3rd day in the GLBasic world I have a limited knowledge of Java but nothing in c++ etc.

Ok to the question lol, Im making or trying to make a simple platform game, So far i have been able to draw and animate my main character and enable them to walk left right etc and jump.
Now I need to put in the platforms(levels) and have no idea how to do this??? I have followed PeeJays tutorials which were brilliant by the way! and can load backgrounds etc but can't find this in any online tutorial.

Help Please :)

matchy

Ian Price

MrTAToad did a great set of platform tutorials.

They are available from his website - http://www.un-map.com/code.html

Look for JNR Platform Examples - He states that you need GLBasic V8.XX

Hope you find them useful.

Good luck, and welcome, btw :)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

They are also in the Showroom section as well!

Ian Price

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Nov-05
They are also in the Showroom section as well!

I can't remember the last time I actually looked in the showroom tbh - I forget it's even here.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Hmm - sounds like Gernot should be promoting that area more!

daioz

Hi guys thanks for the advice, MrTAToad I downloaded your example file JNRExample#1 but what did you use to create the .map file as it will not open in mapwin at all neither will the tile bmp files??
Apologies if I'm being stupid but I've been trying for 3 hours  :rant: lol
Thanks for all your help so far guys  =D

MrTAToad

I didn't create it - the original author did.

Its a simple binary format - 1st byte is a flag to denote whether the tile should be displayed or not, and then 4 bytes denote the index into the sprite array.

daioz

For some reason I can't use the JNR example script to load any maps other than the one that is included in the example file and I can't edit this map in mapwin when loading a custom map its produces error: Out of DIM array.
Are there any other examples of platform games with multiple levels available off any members here?
I have trawled google and the forum but no luck yet.

Thanks for your patience  :)

Ian Price

Have you tried Mappy to load in the map file? That seems to be a pretty good map editor, and I know at least two forumites created a Mappy loader for GLB - maybe the JNR tuts. use the Mappy format.
I came. I saw. I played.