my second offering

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixth Sense

This is the second game from my ongoing attempt at rewriting and updating my old Amiga offerings. For the moment this is PC only and game play should be easy enough to pick up with the exception that a click of the right mouse button will rotate a piece once you have 'lifted' it.

Download (4.3 MB) from Google docs:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxI6Fw6RLQfeODBkZjAwYmYtODJmMi00MWRkLWI3OWMtZjhjMWRhYjE2ODg4

History of the game, instructions and more info etc. From my website:
https://sites.google.com/site/6ixth6ense/pack-it-in

[attachment deleted by admin]
Okay, It's been more than ten years now so I confess............I let the dogs out!

BdR

Ha, those postcards on the history page are so cool :D user feedback in a pre-interwebs time. Do you still have them all?

The game is an old puzzle game "pentomino" and Alexey Pajitnov based Tetris on it. Will you also release it on Android or iPhone?

quangdx

I'm a big fan of this type of game,
spent many many hours playing a gameboy variant of it, Daedalian Opus

http://youtu.be/uiVmtSEcElA

I've downloaded your game and tried it, but it seems I have problems moving shapes after I have clicked on them, and sometimes it picks up a different shape to the one I clicked on.
Don't know if it's just me, but as it is, it makes it unplayable.
Sorry.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

Sixth Sense

Yeah BdR, I still have quite a few of the postcards but have not kept them all, I was always amazed at how much people were prepared to go out of their way to show appreciation back in the old days. I don't think I'll be doing any versions for the mobile markets as my first love is the actual coding itself and since retiring, making money is not a consideration, if any of my friends and family (and indeed anyone from this forum) gets any sort of enjoyment from my work then I'm happy. Unless of course I do produce a sure-fire winner then I may purchase a Mac and splash out on a licence.

Quangdx:  I've tried on five (family & friends) PC's to recreate the problem you are having moving shapes. I use a single pixel box collision from the system pointer's hot-spot to determine which shape (if any) is being selected and up to now can't re-create your problem. If anyone else has this problem I'll remove the game from the showroom and see what I can do to fix.

The Boxed game I played in the 60's was Spears Multipuzzle

[attachment deleted by admin]
Okay, It's been more than ten years now so I confess............I let the dogs out!

spacefractal

which resolution did you used? If VIEWPORT example have beeen used, then x and y chords have been moved to that point, and hence its could that been happens?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Sixth Sense

Spacefractal: It,s hardcoded to a windowed 480x320 screen, no scaling or 3D commands.

quangdx

I downloaded it again, and tried again.
It appears to be running better this time,
but every now and then, when I pick up a shape, I can't move it at all.
Then can only put it back down again.

It's a very weird bug, can't tell what is triggering it.

Do you reset the mouse co-ordinates to the location of the shape when you pick it up?

Sixth Sense

Quangdx: When a piece is picked up from the grid the system pointer disappears and the shape becomes the mouse pointer. The piece does 'jump' to the central position of the 'invisible mouse' to allow it to rotate around this point. If I did not centre it then it looked really odd when being rotated.
NB. Off the grid the piece moves by single pixels, on the grid it 'jumps' by 1 grid space for obvious reasons.  (i hope this makes sense!) :S

quangdx

Quote from: Sixth Sense on 2012-Mar-21
Quangdx: When a piece is picked up from the grid the system pointer disappears and the shape becomes the mouse pointer. The piece does 'jump' to the central position of the 'invisible mouse' to allow it to rotate around this point. If I did not centre it then it looked really odd when being rotated.
NB. Off the grid the piece moves by single pixels, on the grid it 'jumps' by 1 grid space for obvious reasons.  (i hope this makes sense!) :S

This all makes sense, and most of the time this is what is happening.
But about a third of the time, I pick up a piece and just can't move it anywhere,
so have to put it back down again.
It's a weird bug as there does not appear to be a reason for it, and I can't 100% replicate it each time.

Really sorry I can't be any more helpful than that.