New to programming, what next?

Previous topic - Next topic

cruelcynic

Hello. I am new to programming and really enjoying GLB. I have finished the help file tutorials and now considering what to read next. My ultimate goal is to make a new strategy rpg that plays like shining force 2. If you can recommend any tutorials or reading to get closer to that goal I would appreciate it.

fuzzy70

RPGs tend to be rather complex games to program although there might be some simpler ones about.

One recommendation is to search Google for RPG creators of which there are a few free ones about. Most of them are of the point & click style of creation (like gamemaker) but it would give you a very good idea on what makes one up. You could then break it down into smaller parts to program in GLB, for example character stats, character creation, combat etc etc.

If you do create one they can be very rewarding though :-)

Lee

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

cruelcynic

Good idea. Guess I will start with the over world tile map. Seems like mappy is the tool to use around here. I am gonna grab the wrapper and see what I can make of it.

MrTAToad

You may find a strategy RPG rather complicated to start with.  Whilst I don't want to stop you from doing that if you want, I would start with something somewhat easier...

Darmakwolf

Hey - just my two cents here too. Get good at GLB - I mean really good. THEN go for a big project like an RPG. I think you will find that completing smaller projects will bolster your self-confidence and skills, whereas starting something too big to really complete will only frustrate and demotivate you, especially as a new programmer. Don't give up your dreams - work up to them! Let me know if you want help! :)

matchy

Quote from: cruelcynic on 2012-Jun-04
Hello. I am ... really enjoying GLB.

That is true and the way I see it as a programmer, I like to think GLB is fun and usually found by creating 50 experimental programs covering all commands. As a developer, GLB just sits there next to devices, assuring the programmer that their hit game will be released in the future.

erico

You could also try an extremely simplified rogue like first? Not that rogues are simple in any possible way, I do find them the most complicated ones ever, but I do get inspired on the more simplified attempts.

For example, I´m a great fan of Powder from Jeff Lait, he is one of my heros.
Check here:
http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=news

This is compiled to multiple platforms and the source is open, that is, if you can understand it, I can´t at all.

Let´s suppose you could stream it down a lot further, do a single screen one , maybe single kind of monster and very few extra tools/religions or whatever.

More like a random single map top down turn based game. I remember an old one on the COCO that came on the rainbow magazines, it was a cemetery, and you had to avoid the undead chasing you by position your self against tombs so to delay the hordes, you could also cut a few holes on the ground to create extra barriers, and that was it. It was a short basic ASCII game. It could be remade nowadays using more advanced medias, but with the same simple game core.

It is just an idea, while it is not a shining force 2, it may be a good start to get a better understandment of GLB and GFX/sound manipulation, hope it helps.

Edit: about Powder, after 3 years attempting, I finally ascended. Sent Jeff the log, just so he said what? that is easier haha. My brother is attempting with a necrolord for the same time, quite an extreme hard feat, such a wonderful game.

Edit2: Forgot to say, that on the COCO game, you had to survive for a set of turns/days(12?), very simple game mechanics.

cruelcynic

I will start small for now. I am working with sprite strips for now and will go from their.

Slydog

Good luck with your game!

I just came across these two links today, I though somebody could get some useful info from them:

Make Games :: Finishing a Game

How do I make games? A Path to Game Development
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

spacefractal

yes, strategy rpgs can been very complex, but its depend which kind of stype you want to use. big rpg games, even those 16 bit kind, often use scripting to easier the story and complex of the game and that even those 16bit jrpgs. So you property need to do similar engine first. Alternative a less complete, but forward to your goal could been in same style, but just do more focus on action (mix of Shining Force and also Zelda for NES),

Also I not 100% sure glbasic is good for prototype this kind a game, hwover a utilty like RPG Make XP 2012 could help (I have not tested, just a fast google search) and then doing the same in glbasic.

But I do have to say a good luck with your game. I forward to see what it happens.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

cruelcynic

Nice articles Slydog. I think I will take it's advice and build some simple games to get the process down. I will start with a tetris clone.  :)