New old game (pt 2). Bli2X

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Having slaved away on Guru Logic Champs for three months (and coming second with it in the GP2Spain Wiz competition), I thought I'd do something simple and get it done and dusted in less than a week.

Well after just a couple of hours I've got a game up and running and playing nicely for pc and GP2X and Wiz.

Based on the Vic-20 classic, Blitz, here's my take on the city flattening game. I call it Bli2X.

There's still some bits and pieces to do, but it shouldn't take long. Download will be available soon.
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

doimus

Hey! I had it on C64.... cool!  :good:

mentalthink

Jeje, what memories... I remenber what I made this game on my Amstrad CPC 464 when I was a kid, I don´t remenber on that books it´s come in for copy from book to micro-computer , I don´t think was the user manual of CPC.

well, this have much better graphics ;)

Best Regards,
Iván J.

Hatonastick

Mentalthink: It was the CPC manual.  I used to use a Amstrad CPC 6128 when I was a kid and I typed in the exact same game from it.  It did have a couple of games as listings in the manual for examples.

Ian: That looks pretty darn cool mate, as per your usual high standards. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Nobiag

Looks cool, but can somebody please explain how the game works? I never played the original (and never heard of it until now^^). But it looks really good and interesting.

Ian Price

Blitz is probably the simplest game ever devised and requires just one button.

Basically your plane is on an ever moving course from left to right on a static single screen backdrop. You have no actual control of the plane itself. Once the plane moves off the right of the screen, it reappears on the left, only a bit lower. What this means is that your plane is forever getting closer to the city below. So, to enable your plane to land safely you have to destroy the city by dropping bombs. Once you've destroyed the city, you can land safely. You refuel, celebrate and then move onto the next city to repeat the process. That's it.

Obviously, if you don't destroy the city, you will eventually crash into a building. Then it's game over.
I came. I saw. I played.

Nobiag

Sounds like a really nice game. Are you planning to make an iPhone Version?

Ian Price

I plan to order/get an iPod Touch this week, as I've just got a Mac Mini. It might serve as the perfect first test, as it's pretty simple and I can probably fix any bugs quicker than some of my larger programs. First thin though will be working out exactly HOW to compile on pc, then transfer to Mac and then to iDevice. I'm not looking forward to learning that process. The whole Mac thing is completely new and alien to me so far, and I've heard/read horror stories about the Apple developer thingy which can take an age to set up.

So the answer is - maybe. :P

In the mean time, I'm actually in the process of making it netbook friendly - with good results so far. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

If you want an extra beta tester for netbooks give me a buzz (*hint* hint*).  :whistle: =D

Ian Price

Having had a (VERY) quick burst at netbook coding, I got the game running at over 60FPS (when not limited), although it does drop a little when the particles are on screen. Given more time than I have at the moment, I could probably optimise it significantly. But what the heck. It's good enough for a quickie.

It's not at as balanced as I'd like and there's not much in the way of sfx. And no music. So, pretty much identical to the original.

So, here it is. BLI2X WIP. just don;t expect it to be anything great, or even better than the original. The original was crap and this is just the same :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Hi, Hatonastick, well, I don´t rebember very well that book has it game, I remenber make the game all a evening, and after turn off the computer without save the game, jeje, things of kids
what times...  <3

Best Regards,
Iván J.

fjsantosb

Looks really great!!

Great Work!

King Regards, fjsantos.
Francisco Santos Belmonte founder of Tip Tap Games.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tiptapgames
Facebook: http://dld.bz/dYVd
iPhone News & Sales: www.gamesappetizer.com

Hatonastick

Quote from: mentalthink on 2010-Aug-29
Hi, Hatonastick, well, I don´t rebember very well that book has it game, I remenber make the game all a evening, and after turn off the computer without save the game, jeje, things of kids
what times...  <3

Best Regards,
Iván J.

Yeah I have very fond memories of the old Amstrad CPC and what I think was the best manual I've ever had for a computer.

I just remembered recently the first ever program I wrote from scratch and completed.  Maybe the only one. :P  It was an electronic birthday card for my grandmother which painfully played 'Happy birthday to you' using BASIC sound commands, while playing an animation I'd done using custom character graphics (as well as the built in one).