MikMod Tracker music to work on all supported platforms - not just Android

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

So, as has been noticed previously MikMod tracker playback is working for Android. Using PLAYMUSIC with mod files will play just like an MP3. Its part of SDLmixer so it could also work for Windows and iOS too.

Please consider making MikMod compile for other platforms. Bearing in mind the size restrictions on mobile apps it would be very helpful to have tracker music playback for iOS as well as Android. MP3 music files are often the largest media files in a mobile app project. Being able to use tracker music instead would allow for considerably smaller packages.

I think its worth pointing out that cery few successful popular mobile apps use MP3 files or their equivalent for music content. Most use tracker playback of some kind for the reason mentioned above.

Wampus

Attached to this post is a little test app that can be used to see if modular music files can be played. Right now an attempt to play a file with PLAYMUSIC returns a negative value in WebOS and iOS. A positive value is returned in Win32 but no music plays. Android works fine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fuzzy70

This I would love to see working on windows (well all targets to be honest) as I have a large collection of mods I could put to use without the hassles of making an MP3 from them. Also like you mentioned the savings in filesize would be a great benefit to all platforms.

I hope it can be made to happen  =D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

This would be interesting!
Will read about it later on.
Unfortunantly I can´t help much on a port or getting it to work :(

fuzzy70

Doing a search in the GLBbasic/compiler/platform directory's for SDL_Mixer (required for mod/midi playback) brings up all targets except Win32/CE & iOS which might have something to do with it & looks like Windows uses directsound.

At a guess that could be a cause of why no output from windows. If someone could confirm this might or might not be the case please do say.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Marmor

all .mod will play here ,but no .it or  .xm .
mediaplayer  can also play mod files.

win7

fuzzy70

Quote from: Marmor on 2012-Mar-03
all .mod will play here ,but no .it or  .xm .
mediaplayer  can also play mod files.

win7

Media player in Win7 & Vista is not playing .mod files at all on mine so at a guess you must have a codec installed from somewhere as them type of files have never been standard on windows.

I must of been tired with my previous post as to quote from the help for playmusic:

QuotePlays a music file in the background. All music file formats with installed codecs are supported. (midi, wav, mp3...)

So unless all targets are changed to use SDL audio system rather than the native (or what ever they are using), which I cannot see happening the only thing is using codecs. While codecs are easy to sort out on windows I have no clue about other platorms.

If anyone can list or knows what is being used for sound on each platform i.e native or SDL that might help. On mine which is a fresh install of win7 the following play no problem

• .wav
  • .mp3
  • .mid
  • .wma

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Wampus

Tracker music as Windows codecs, hmm. The thing is though, with Windows, Mac and Linux platforms there isn't the same pressing need to limit the space used for an installation of an app. Mobile devices could really benefit, however.

I don't think WebOS would be too much of a strain to set up since source files and libraries for MikMod are all over the place. iOS would be harder afaics. There are iOS ports of the MikMod player on the web but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to incorporate them.

fuzzy70

After my last post I done a quick search for mod codecs for windows & came up blank other JVC video mod files.

I would be interested in how your media player in Win7 is playing mods Marmor, I have tried in both Win7 & Vista both of which say "no thanks" as it thinks they are video files. I currently use OpenMPT to play tracker music as well as convert them to wave files, export to mp3 is greyed out but have not looked into it & besides I have more than enough apps that can make mp3's from waves  :D

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Mar-03
The thing is though, with Windows, Mac and Linux platforms there isn't the same pressing need to limit the space used for an installation of an app. Mobile devices could really benefit, however.

I agree, even though I cannot compile for the mobile targets as that's pointless for me due to not having any of them platforms to test what I write, Mobile devices would indeed benefit from the smaller files.

On the same token though it would also be nice to have a "Common ground" so to speak regarding audio. If you are writing a project & targeting just 1 platform then alls fine as just make your media files for that platform. However if you are deciding to target a few platforms then you just have to make sure your music files are in the right format for each of them.

If all platforms could support the same formats that would help, but unless there is an audio subsytem that supports all of them I cannot see another way around it. Also if such a subsystem existed I am pretty sure it would have been implemented into GLBasic.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

ChristianB

Please implement support for playing .XM on IPhone!
Regards
Christian

Kitty Hello

SDL-mixer has a zlib license now. I hope I can statically link SDL, SDL_mixer and ogg/vorbis for all platforms. That would make compatibilty a lot better.

ChristianB

Sounds  ;) great! Will it be included in V11?
Regards
Christian

spacefractal

Mikmod is finally got resumed recenteny (http://mikmod.shlomifish.org/), and yes it's would been a excellect addon to glbasic for platform that is possible to support that as well full ogg support for both sound and music... All desktops os, android (included allready?) and hopefully ios.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/